Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2011, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 28 Jun 2011 12:11:15 -0700
From:         Oxroad <oxroad@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: 1990 Westfalia For Sale
Comments: To: Loren Busch <starwagen@gmail.com>

For What it's worth, I have an 83.5 VanagonL full Westfalia which does have swivel driver's and passenger seats. The seats are also shown with the swivel in the '83 Vanagon brochure with the full Westy package. I don't know what the earlier VanagonL had in the way of swivels or when it started.

The seats originally were the kind of low-grade fabric seats with the brown and blue stripes, not velour like in the later GLs. And the seats do not have arms attached as the captain's chairs do in the velour.

My understanding is the bottom seat cushion is a different part number for the swivel seat vs. the "fixed" seat. This because the full Westfailia seat bottom cushion is shallower or less high. (My PC with ETKA on it is not working today so I can't check the part numbers to confirm this right now.)

I think I remember discussion in the past on the different height of the bottom seat cushion adjusted by VW to somewhat accommodate for the added height of the swivel mechanism.

While my driver's seat has the swivel I almost never use it. For those who don't have it, I'll tell you even with the swivel the driver's seat only has the clearance to "spin" about 90 degrees to where you're facing the passenger. The kitchen cabinet prevents you from facing toward the back of the full campmobile.

And then my original fabric striped seats with the "horsehair" "cushioning" certainly had less seat bottom cushioning creating more head clearance.

IIRC, Somewhere on the web someone pictured the 2 seats (Camper swivel vs. Passenger fixed) side by side and measured the bottom seat cushion. I'll see if I can find the link.

Just thinking out loud here. I do get that if you remove the swivel mechanism you will get more headroom from the seat that was on the swivel.

Best, Jeff 83.5 Westy LA,CA