Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2011, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 28 Jun 2011 16:15:24 -0700
From:         Rocket J Squirrel <camping.elliott@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: me too (solar)
Comments: To: Steven Johnson <sjohnso2000@GMAIL.COM>

A number of folk seem to be perfectly satisfied having the panels on the roof. I figure these people either live in a far colder climate than I do or . . . something. Maybe don't spend much time in the van during the day.

Summer camping, even here in Oregon's high desert and the Cascade mountains, requires shade. For me, at least. I suppose if you live a lot closer to the high latitudes the sun's heat becomes less of an issue, but the angle of the sun is lower so a flat-mounted panel intercepts less of it.

I have a pair of 55-watt panels which I've connected with a hinge so they open like a book. Closed for transport, then I move them into the sun and open them. Behind each panel is a cheap camera monopod -- adjustable in length with a ball-and-socket fitting at the top for tiltability and angle action -- to prop them against.

If truth be told, I kind of enjoy keeping an eye on them and the location of the sunlit patches around camp, jockeying them around as needed to receive full sun free power. Gives me something to putter with during the day.

My rule of thumb is that my battery has to reach 100% charge before I run any other appliance than the refrigerator. I generally achieve full charge by late morning depending on conditions.

-- RJS