Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2011, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 22 Jun 2011 14:20:53 -0500
From:         John Rodgers <inua@CHARTER.NET>
Subject:      Re: Looking for Special Camping Utensil
Comments: To: Ryan Johnson <rhinoculips@GMAIL.COM>

Ryan,

That's it! Except mine had the flapper/clappers that were rectangular like on a standard fly flap. Bloody handy in mosquito country and fly country. Better for flies than mosquitoes. I note that this one is gone, and apparently no link to contact anyone.

So I'm still looking for a source.

Thanks.

John

John Rodgers Clayartist and Moldmaker 88'GL VW Bus Driver Chelsea, AL Http://www.moldhaus.com

On 6/22/2011 1:05 PM, Ryan Johnson wrote: > You must be thinking of this? Fly Clapper on > Ebay<http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&item=250810164012&nma=true&rt=nc&si=XpoVjqzAcnYDkDPPkBxAYWXRrLU%253D> > > > > > On Tue, Jun 21, 2011 at 10:41 PM, John Rodgers<inua@charter.net> wrote: > >> Ever bothered by flies when camping? Well, they were a problem when I >> lived in Alaska, and they are down in Alabama as well. Around 1990 when >> in Alaska I bought an injection molded plastic two-flap pistol-grip fly >> swatter. There were two flaps mounted on a barrel, which in turn was >> attached to a pistol grip handle. The thing worked on spring tension. >> When cocked, and then the trigger pulled, the two flaps would slam >> together much the way your hands do when clapping, catching the fly in >> the middle - right out of mid-air. I really liked the thing. That >> ability to nail an aggravating fly in mid-flight was a handy thing. And >> it beat having to have a hard backing like a table or wall or bowl or >> Grandma's apply pie as a backdrop in order to kill him with the single >> flap type fly swatter. Nothing worse than swatting a fly and have the >> squashed carcass flip off the swatter onto the last slice of Grandma's >> apple pie. >> >> I have not seen one of these since around 1992 or '93. Only ever saw >> them in Alaska. I did learn they had come from California, but never >> learned more. But surely they will be out there somewhere. Hopefully >> someone has seen these and know where to get them. Would appreciate >> hearing of a source. Really great for killing the flies that get into >> ones camper or tent. >> >> Thanks, >> >> John >> >> -- >> John Rodgers >> Clayartist and Moldmaker >> 88'GL VW Bus Driver >> Chelsea, AL >> Http://www.moldhaus.com >> >