Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2011, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 22 Jun 2011 13:32:44 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Remote Starter Switch Wire-up for '88GL
Comments: To: David Beierl <dbeierl@attglobal.net>

just in general .. you have sparks ... sometimes that makes people jerk ..like they're a little scared of it. and they cut themselves on something .

and in general .. sure .........'mostly' alternators are robust .. and on anything with diodes in it .. as a rule playing with loose electricity is to be avoided.

that's why I said you 'can' ..but it is safer not to.

also have to factor in that it might be someone who barely knows how to change a spark plug .. it is not advisable for people that do not have a lot of automotive and electrical experience to be playing with loose voltage.

it's not even advisable to jump start cars really. That's been known to harm alternators. I have read official shop manuals that say .. "the only right thing to start the car from is a fully charged and installed good battery."

It's just safer to not play with loose electricity .. whether for the safety of the person doing it, or the equipment.

I'm not saying it'll blow up your alternator . I'm saying it's better not to use that as a loose wire voltage source.. and you NEVER know what dumb things people will do, especially if they have not worked on cars a lot.

you know.. the guy that got his wedding ring welded between high amperage voltage and ground.. I bet he never worked on anything electrical wearing jewelry after that. Cost him a finger I believe.

electricity be dangerous stuff, and people can do dumb things sometimes.

You know.. connect the alternator positive terminal straight to ground because they don't know what they are doing. it can happen. I'm sure it has happened.

----- Original Message ----- From: "David Beierl" <dbeierl@attglobal.net> To: "Scott Daniel - Turbovans" <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM> Cc: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Wednesday, June 22, 2011 12:28 PM Subject: Re: Remote Starter Switch Wire-up for '88GL