Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2011, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 30 Jun 2011 08:54:23 -0400
From:         ed donnen <spliced.surprise@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Demons IV

Rust Demons IV- Sheeetmetal

Yesterday I went to Dixie Metalwork to get some sheet metal to replace a piece of paneling on my truck. With a special THANX to Ken W. for finding me the panel, I decided to try my hand at cutting and patching first. So in I go to Dixie Metalwork not knowing what kind of metal I needed but thinking this should be easy with these experts to help me. So of course I meet a fine specimen of Southern Hospitality I shall call BillyBob, and the conversation gets as mired down as a Westy Syncro in the bayou with all our toolboxes on board. When I was growing up in New York the longest word in the English language was antidisestablishmentarianism. Down south they have an even longer word, I won’t spell it out in this polite company, but BillyBob sounded out sheet metal as “sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeetmetal”. For the brevity of this post and to save a lot of letters, I’ll abbreviate my new word as sh*tmetal for the duration of this post. Now you know what I’m talkin’ about. I must admit I ain’t got no accent, but BillyBob gots hisself some kinda speech impediment, ‘cause we is not communicating. As the man once said, “What we have heah, is a failuya tocommunicate.” After much gesticulation and pointing on both our parts, my sheet metal never linked up with BillyBobs sh*tmetal. In desperation I took BillyBob out to my truck and pointed at the rusty panel. His only comment I could comprehend was, “That ain’t no truuuuck, get you a Chevy.” So I left Dixie Metalwork empty handed and almost empty headed, but I got a new word out of the deal, sh*tmetal. We are a common people separated by a common language. . Perhaps I may have wondered just a Wii bit from the topic. (Hey, did you notice that clever word play nod to the digital age?) (Let’s not start THAT again!) Anyway, when I got home I remembered there were old junker cars in the class and I could get metal from them. So I was ready for my auto body class, and didn't have to go to a store and learn a new word in the first place. So please don't bother reading the first part of this post. . Last night I had to cut a rather large chunk out of the louvered panel on the passenger side of the truck. I tried to reach the inside of the panel from the engine compartment to facilitate cleaning and to access the total rust problem. No matter how hard I tried to reach the sh*tmetal from the tight engine compartment, I kept banging my head on the lobotomizing framing member blocking me. Since this beam is in the engine compartment of my truck, I will call it the Auto-lobotomy Beam of Destiny. (snicker, snicker). With many more sparking rooster tails flowing over the bed of the truck, and a mental note NOT to wear open-toe sandals next week, I did the grinder/cutter trick again and removed a healthy chunk of the panel from the outside, leaving me access to clean and neutralize the remaining rust before welding. Then I cut a replacement panel from the hood of a junker Toyota to use on my truck. I hope the list won’t think less of me, or the truck for that matter. . Next week I will meet "Mr. Box and Pan Brake" to bend the sh*tmetal to my will, and I will be prepared for the Auto-lobotomy Beam of Destiny. I shall study either "The contortionist guide to VW maintenance" or the rather more adult "The 15 positions of mechanical bliss in the Karman-Ghia-Sutra." I shall then sneer disdainfully as I slide over, around, and pass the Auto-lobotomy Beam of Destiny on my way to tack weld the new sh*tmetal in place.

ed- I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy