Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2011, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 3 Jul 2011 08:35:42 -0700
From:         Poppie Jagersand <poppie.jagersand@YAHOO.CA>
Subject:      Waterfront campsites for kayak on Vancouver island and Bella
              Coola, British Columbia?

The Westy 1.9TD is finally in decent order. Changed alternator, belts, started, filters etc. Still has a small air leak at injection pump input shaft, so takes a few turn of cranking if she has been sitting overnight. I'm bringing a 12V in-line fuel pump I can install at the tank to prime it in the mornings, but thought the drop of diesel that then leaks out on the injection pump pulley and timing belt is worse than a couple of extra turns on the starter.

Today we start our trip. Wife has some meetings in Burnaby next week so will stay in a nearby campground with my kid the first days. Anmore camplands in Coquitlam seemed like a good compromise between close to Burnaby and quiet setting. Will have WiFi there to check email.

Then next weekend we go to Vancouver Island for a week of vacation. We plan to drive north along the island and take the ferry from Port Hardy to Bella Coola.

We bring a folbot greenland kayak with us, and I would love some advice for where to camp and take kayak day trips with my 2 year old. It would be ideal if we can camp and launch from the campsite. (Having the 2year old running around regular boat launches with trucks and trailers when I prepare the kayak is not so good..)

So if anyone has tips for quiet launch spots on Vancouver island, ideally campapble, please let me know.

The ferry between Port Hardy and Bella Coola sometimes stops in a few places on the way. Any of these worth taking a stopover at?

From Bella Coola we drive back towards Alberta, first on the very rural road east (ranch country?), then south via rte 97 (where I understand there are some gold rush historic sites) and west on rte 1 through Revelstroke etc.

Thanks, Martin

Complete route is: http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=+Edmonton,+AB&daddr=52.744751,-119.101099+to:burnaby,+bc+to:Port+Hardy,+British+Columbia+to:Bella+Coola,+British+Columbia+to:51.124213,-115.839844+to:Edmonton,+AB&hl=en&geocode=FQ_SMAMd_J47-SkneNnGiSGgUzFpFg44pwZXKQ%3BFS_SJAMdVanm-A%3BFWV67wIdnJGr-Clzg5whqHeGVDFpsVKHc3IK3Q%3BFbX3BQMdS51m-CmL7UkaLHxkVDEIndkGssZotg%3BFZ8lHwMdsMFx-ClPv6twd3l6VDG_AIQFSgNavQ%3B%3BFYwCMQMd7EU8-Skj_96ARSKgUzFdFfZKDKAfQQ&gl=ca&mra=dpe&mrsp=5&sz=5&via=5&vps=1&sll=52.908902,-117.729492&sspn=12.208181,27.905273&ie=UTF8