Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2011, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 5 Jul 2011 06:53:35 -0700
From:         Rocket J Squirrel <camping.elliott@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Minimum tire pressure?
Comments: To: Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@hotmail.com>

On Tue, 2011-07-05 at 00:50 -0400, Dennis Haynes wrote:

> From experience going down to about 15 pounds will probably give the > best improvement. You need to understand that the reason this works is > that you are adding the tire sidewalls to the floatation effect to > keep from sinking. This action can damage the tires internally. If > going in sandy areas is part of your routine besides really needing a > Syncro you should at least re-evaluate your tire and wheel choices. > Also, sand also contains salt and other nasty stuff and the silica > will easily get into the engine. With all you putting into your van > why do you wish to destroy it?

Me? I have no wish to destroy my van. I'm just gathering techniques and tackle to get myself unstuck from various situations in case I get stuck again, like I did three times last year. (Mud hiding under gravel, cinder road shoulder, sandy spot at bottom of steep road.) In one of the three cases, I had no cell service so could not call for a tow, so I had to unpack my mountain bike and ride for a few miles to flag down a ride to town.

At the end of the year I vowed I would be a lot more careful about where I drive, and if I get stuck anyway, I would have at least some basic recovery tackle to get myself unstuck.

Thanks for the tip!

-- RJS