Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2011, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 5 Jul 2011 09:29:49 -0700
From:         Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Tires again
Comments: To: Rocket J Squirrel <camping.elliott@gmail.com>

But, of course, for here we need "traction tires" (with the > snowflake/mountain emblem on the sidewall) to legally drive in many > places in winter, else we have to put on chains. That might narrow the > field a bit in terms of searching for "quiet" tires. > -- > Rocky J Squirrel (Jack Elliott) >

I really do not think you'll find an effective winter tire that is going to be very quiet. During winter....the road surface is noisy..covered with ice, packed snow, cinders and pot holes. If you live where there is winter, you 'put up with' discomfort...noisy ride, shovel out of the driveway in the morning and back in when you get home, breakdowns in the slush, poor drivers getting stuck and blocking the roads in front of you....it's all part of winter reality and it can't be ignored...You simply must 'shift gears' when the snow flies...put on the snow tires, toss in some ballast weight, put in your winter 'survival kit' and maybe forget listening to "The Grand Canyon Suite---sunrise" as you rumble and rattle down the crummy highway surface over the snow and ice.

One mistake many people make is to think.."Bigger fatter knobby tires with super agressive tread...they will be better on snow" I've always found a taller narrower tire works better...I like those Hakkapellittas all the regular vendors sell and I've used them year round for a couple of years on the rear of my 2wd van...They seem tolerable for noise and have excellent (for a Vanagon) traction. I think mine are about worn out after ~30k miles...good value..