Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2011, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 5 Jul 2011 11:05:57 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Tires again
Comments: To: camping.elliott@gmail.com

yes... 27 X 8.50 R14 LT is a nice size on a vanagon. make sure they are LT"s, which they usually are. that size is going out of favor though .. but consider it.

re road noise. Do notice that the front seats are just inces from the front tires ... and just one layer of steel between inside of the van and the front suspension area. I put lots under the front seats. in a diesel van I've put sound deadening stuff under the entire front rugs. or something, forget what it was, under the rugs in front. '

they need all the help they can get. re the front doors.. the doors in the earlier vans are noticebly 'clangy-er' when you close them, compared to the later vans. my 87 Wolfsburg for example, has doors that are more 'thud' than 'clang'. The early vans need it. and .. even in the engine area - I just worked on an early 83 Westy . the area around the engine cover was bare painted metal, not that tar like stuff that most vans have there.

well.. road noise.. what you are refering to I would call 'tire noise' . Not being noisy is just one of about 8 conflicting things you want in a tire. Some are noisier than others. Usually you don't think of regular road tires as being very noisy though. All the LT's I ever driven .. pretty quiet.

The logical choice for winter tires is ... Studless Winter Tires. for example, the Bridgestone Blizzack WS-60 is the model they're up now I think. Mine are the WS-50 model from about 4 years ago on my turbo volvo sedan. I think they've gone 'off' some by now. Not as grippy as they were new. But new ..awesome winter tires !~ I've driven on all kinds of surfaces just fine without chains on those, in 2WD,.

2WD vanagons.. need all the rear weight they get. they are heavier on the front axle than the rear , so are inherently challenged rear traction wise.

chains ..........they're only good in some situations.. like going over mountain passes say ..where they are there to make sure you have them on ( calfiornia ) .. they're not good for rattling around town or taking off and on a lot.

studded tires .. I would only want those where it's cold all the time and you're driving on packed snow a lot. or on ice. the studs don't help in fresh or soft snow. and always .. the drier the snow the better the traction. the wetter and older the snow ....there is nothing, snow and ice wise, worse than old snow. That's some slippery stuff. New studless winter tires , front and rear ..work well. with chains along if you need them. and two sets mounted of course.. one summer set, one winter set. btw..it is not just the tread pattern on studless winter tires ..it is the rubber compound that is dedicated to snow and ice use.

some things you can talk about forever .. tires and wha oil to use , for sure !

my main recomendation for 14 inch tires .. 185 R14C's in C LOAD RATING. that's what it probably says right on your tire sticker on the van.

that size in C load rating is harder to find. but those are the correct tires for an 83/84 Westy.

or as I say all the time, D's in the rear, C's in the front. that is better yet. VW even says so on late syncro's, right on the tires sticker.

LT's are always C laod rating that I have seen so far. so ..LT"s front and rear.. that is a decent setup for sure. I find the 195/75 R14 LT a little skinny ( which is not 'all bad' you want a narrower tire if you want it to cut through a few inches of new snow say ) .

the 27 X 8.50's are nicely wider, same tread often, that knarly tread that Les Sccwab sold as the Wildcat for a long time...also ..Cooper Discovery ..some of those are still around. that is a great all purpose tire tread and compound .. very smooth riding, good handling, long wearing ...just a great all purpose tire, with a fairly open tread pattern , almost a snow tire for all around use.

well, I thought I'd fine an example online and shoot ya the link. but at tirerack.com I don't see how to search for a 27 X 8.50 R14 LT .

see what you can find. They have to be LT's.

tire fun ! scott

----- Original Message ----- From: "Rocket J Squirrel" <camping.elliott@gmail.com> To: "Scott Daniel - Turbovans" <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM> Cc: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Tuesday, July 05, 2011 8:23 AM Subject: Re: Tires again