Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2011, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 5 Jul 2011 23:33:14 -0700
From:         Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Tires again
Comments: To: Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@turbovans.com>

On

There is waaaay more to vehicle handling than simply the tires...It all works as an integrated system and when you alter just one aspect of that system....every other thing changes along with the single change you may have made... A couple of PSI difference in air pressure at the front or rear is enough to change how a vehicle will behave...Change a sway bar or the alignment...another vehicle behavior change....Change the sway bar and the tire pressure....a different behavior...Change the sway bar, the TP and the ride height? A different behavior..When you change one thing in the suspension, you can often benefit from slightly changing everything else to work better because of the single change you made in the first place...It is an art, rather than a science, getting the best possible handling from a vehicle's suspension System.

Lookit them NASCAR teams...they're stuck in overweight over powered virtually identical Spec racecars. They all are regulated down to the very millimeter in every aspect except....sway bar settings, ride height (limited to a few millimeters allowed to change) and tire pressures...Yet they are always talking about "Oh, it's loose...or Tight..." and come in to the pits for fresh tires and an adjustment to the sway bar, or a tire pressure change....then they go back out and start passing everyone with the new settings.... Imagine when you have a 'free hand'....all the adjustable and changeable parts you have to mess with and how much that can affect the handling...

Vanagons in simple form are supposed to be close to 50:50 weight distribution...Mine is within about 100lbs, front and back by some highway scales. That would indicate the same size tires, front and rear would maximize the traction when cornering at a steady speed....totally oversimplified, of course... factor in some braking force, or some acceleration force and the weight transfer that creates and things change again.

"Understeering Pigs"...That behavior is probably caused by too stiff suspension at the rear....but I can't explain here why that probably is......It all works as an integrated system.. Me, I have never ever been tempted to try to drive my vanagon like a track car...why do that? It ain't that kinda vehicle...They handle quite well for a big top heavy utility vehicle and I have done some amazing maneuvers in mine missing road hazards and avoiding drunks in my lane etc...So finding the best tires for safe and crisp handling is important...

I like to have the same tires front and rear (when I am doing normal dry season driving) so I can swap around without problems..