Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2011, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 6 Jul 2011 11:11:25 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: AAZ diesel conversion
Comments: To: Mike Miller <mwmiller6@ATT.NET>

Hi Mike, That's been done many times I'm sure. You may find power marginal though .. especially if your syncro rig is heavy, or you have fairly large tires.

stock an AAZ is 75 hp. Torque, I 'think' is around 120 ft lbs ( though look that up, it's pretty easy to find ). some tweaks are possible.....intercooler and such but you will have a van that on a slight hill at say 65 mph and you say 'go faster'....not much is going to happen.

see Diesel-Vanagon@yahoogroups.com for the diesel-vanagon group. also ..'tdi-conversion' yahoo group.

the current standard would be ( often freshly rebuilt ) an electronic TDI , and often with tweaks, enhanced injector nozzles,. chipped ecu, etc. or .. an m-tdi .....some people get decent performance and fuel economy out of those with no electronics, and swear by them. talk to Karl Mullendore on that. Westy Ventures.

AAZ will work, but after you have that .. then you'll want 'more' .

Currently I am more in favor of e-tdi's for environmental and emissions reasons, and do not like at all that there is a direct connection from the combustion chamber to the air we breathe with the older style diesels. also, tdi's do not have pre-chambers in the cylinder head, and therefore might be a more robust long-lasting cylinder head than the ones on the earlier pre-chamber VW diesels. I won't start telling you about all the tired and trashed engine parts I see in some used AAZ engines.

they all have pretty high miles on them now. Ten years ago you could get a factory new, all german made AAZ , the complete factory new thing, from turbo to IP to injectors etc. .....not anymore I don't think. If you do get and AAZ , pay more for a low miles one ...and even then be careful.

Scott www.turbovans.com

----- Original Message ----- From: "Mike Miller" <mwmiller6@ATT.NET> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Wednesday, July 06, 2011 7:43 AM Subject: AAZ diesel conversion