Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2011, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 6 Jul 2011 12:11:33 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Superchargers?
Comments: To: Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>

sure .. go for it. Don't know if there is a supercharger bolt-on kit.

such a conversion done right would need different fuel and timing mapping in the ECU. it can be done of course.

the kit you mention it to upgrade an already supercharged engine to a bit more power. that is a 'whole other story' compared to retro-fitting a supercharger to a normally aspirated engine.

what I would suggest, is ..get a G-60 Corrado engine .. the 'whole thing' the ECU the wiring harness ...'everything' , and build that.

As I wrote recently, I drove a Syncro Westy with that engine it and it scooted real well.

fwiw, one G-60 guy told me VW only wanted to change the air filter themselves at the dealer. They did not recommend air filter replacement by the 'person on the street.' I don't know if that's true .. but it tells me that they are likely more critical senstive devices, than say, turbo's.

turbo's are relatively 'free' power-increasiing devices. There's energy going to waste going down the tail pipe ..so why not capture it. what year to you think the turbocharger was first demonstrated , or run, on a regular engine. A lot earlier than you'd think probalby.

and ...any engine with forced induction needs to be made stronger. Even some naturally asperated vw I4's have piston oil squirters though, which helps.

power from superchargers is always 'right now'. though with modern small turbo's , there's no traditional 'turbo lag'.. and running the large Garret and KKK turbo's from the 80's on vw diesel inline fours.. I even kinda like that it 'gets on the cam' . of if speaking in two stroke motorcycle.. 'gets on the pipe' . I like when turbo boost builds 'exponetially' ..rather than full power all across the band.

my own 88 740 Turbo volvo sedan, I4 with 2.3 liters..and a huge intercooler.. the size and shape of the radiator .. fine turbo engine, no turbo lag , but not high-strung feeling either. now there's in I4 gas vanagon engien for ya !

I even had the Kendedy adapter and flywheel for that engine onto a waterboxer bell housing. but ....never found time to get to it.. and that engine is pretty large, longer by about 5 inches than you'd like for a vanagon .. and really , just 'very big' in external dimensions. and if I tilted it over to the left to get it low .. spark plugs would be on the underside of the head..but there are in a chevy small block V-8 too, so maybe that's not bad. I even have another aluminum intake manifold, and could very easily weld up a very long intake runner set up, for packaging, and also has the advantage of increasing low end torque.

anyway .. get a G-60 Corrodo engine. my new source....the engines are cheap, but they're a bitch to get out of the cars.. in brutal hot sun, schlepting tools etc from parking lot to junked car.

if they had a Corrodo engine with supercharger.. well, if the price was right, I'd just have to get it..and the fuel system to go with it.

tilted over at 50 degrees btw, ala Diesel Vanagon ..the supercharger sticks up through the engine cover.

naturally aspirated engines are under less stress too of course.

later ! Scott www.turbovans.com ----- Original Message ----- From: "Don Hanson" <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Wednesday, July 06, 2011 8:13 AM Subject: Superchargers?