Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2011, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 6 Jul 2011 21:22:19 -0700
From:         Poppie Jagersand <poppie.jagersand@YAHOO.CA>
Subject:      Re: Waterfront campsites on Vancouver island and Bella Coola,
              British Columbia?

Trip update:

Made it from Edmonton AB to Vancouver BC, 1400 or so km of the 3500 total.

Started out driving straight through Alberta, since we see our home province on our weekend trips.

Camped on Kinbasket lake the first night, near Valemount, BC. The west Canoe reach rd has many nice informal camping sites with morning sun and a beautiful view south along the lake and of the rockies to the east. This is an active logging road though so it was good we went there on a Sunday, when it was quiet.

Second day we went to Paul lake provincial park, near Kamloops, BC. Liked the beach and picknick area, but campsites were far away from that. We ended up staying the day at the beach and bbq:ed, but didn't camp there.

Third day I had planned to camp and kayak at Lake Alouette, a bit north east of Vancouver. However we stopped at Kirby, where the Fraser river meets the Harrison river. There were beautiful waterfront campsites at the small provincial park just at the river confluence, and a historic site nearby to explore. Water table was higher than normal, so our campsite was literally a couple of meters from the waters edge. Kayaked upstream in the Harrison river as far as we endured against the current and then floated back. Kirby is easily found if one drives Hwy 7 instead of the busy Transcanada 1.

Now we are in Burnaby. Looking to take the ferry to Vancouver Island tomorrow. Still haven't made plans for the Vancouver island part of the trip, and where to find the nicest camping and kayaking on the gulf coast of Vancouver island.

Cheers, Martin (and '82 Diesel Westy, '75 wife and '09 daughter)