Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2011, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 6 Jul 2011 22:30:46 -0700
From:         Daniel Rotblatt <d.rotblatt@VERIZON.NET>
Subject:      Re: Crazy pop-top modification idea
Comments: To: Alistair Bell <albell@shaw.ca>

Thanks all - good thoughts. Just got back from a one night camping trip at the beach.

> I suppose you could build up a foam faced block and carve the shape > you want, then lay up the glass cloth in epoxy so that you could > dissolve out the foam with solvent after hacking out most of it > with tools. Alistair - That's the idea. If you use polyurethane (I think) foam the resin won't melt it, just wax it and the foam it should just pop out - doesn't have to be melted out. Epoxy can also be used instead of the traditional resin and you can use the regular white beaded type foam (the regular resin melts the foam).

Troy - I've worked a bit with fiberglass a little and it is nasty, not just the smell but the fibers. I've read about using epoxy rather then fiberglass - more expensive, but less smelly. I've done some searches and read about storage containers like the Yakima, but then I have to climb up and down from the roof...getting old for that :( I love the convenience of having everything stored inside the van - makes it really easy to pack up.

Loren - I've got kids sleeping up top, so I can't pull the bed. It does occur to me that the area in front of the bed may be utilized.

Everyone - good point on the clearance issue. here in Southern Cal there is little ferry travel, but plenty of parking garages. I would have simiilar limitations to the hightop...just not as high. I already store blankets in the top behind the bed. They compress nicely.

I'm just kind of thinking out loud here while I try to solve the storage issues in my weekender. Love the space, but need more storage. In my old GMC van there was lots of space where the engine is in the vanagan, and the vanagon has no additional space in the front where the engine isn't. Of course I couldnt' sleep 4 in the GMC. My old split window mini-poptop had more storage as well.

Dan L.A., CA '85 Westy Weekender