Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2011, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 7 Jul 2011 13:25:11 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: 2.1 rebuild - hone lifter bores?
Comments: To: John Rodgers <inua@CHARTER.NET>

it depends on how the new lifters fit. I have had to work on one lifter bore for an hour ( on a vw diesel) to get a new lifter to fit.

so 'it depends' . with luck..the new lifters will slide in without a sloppy fit , and not be terribly tricky to get started in the bore either.

I would think that people would know to wait and see what the 'fit' is ... and not plan to just 'hone away' like it was something you always do.

honing on cylinder walls has a differnt purpose. the piston already fits, obviously. It's to 'break the galze' ..it's to prepare the cylinder wall to accept new rings and work properly with them. a major factor also is ....piston ring grooves.. if they are too worn, combustion pressure can not get behind the ring properly enough to push it out against the cylinder wall for sealing there. and.. on waterboxer egnines..the pistons, rings and barrels are the longest lasting part of the engine .. very rarely a problem there. Also ..as a rule, if rings are distrubed, they should be replaced with new ones.

so see how the lifters fit. it's *all* about careful 'fitting' , of everything inside the engine.

scott www.turbovans.com

----- Original Message ----- From: "John Rodgers" <inua@CHARTER.NET> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Thursday, July 07, 2011 11:40 AM Subject: Re: 2.1 rebuild - hone lifter bores?