Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2011, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 1 Jul 2011 23:37:09 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Frydaye Follies - BMW question
Comments: To: John Rodgers <inua@CHARTER.NET>

here's my advice.. tell the to be preparred to part with an obscene figure .. like they'll be lucky if it's only a 2,000 dollar repair.

fwiw, my father got a dealer quote of $ 6K to fix AC on an 1994 or so Jag XJ6. ( I didn't say I want a new car, I just want the AC to blow cold." Sorry sir. )

on a 90 Bimmer.. 2 grand is very small chnage to fix the AC. that's pretty old too...21 yrs. people often don't fix AC when a car is that old , due to the cost. and....

if ever there was a scary car to own when it's getting old.. BMW baby .. they can need 6 grand in repairs at fancy shops or dealers any time, once that old.

don't get me started.. you know the twin turbo inlines sizes that some 3 series Bimmers have .. in the 2000 year models.... and their V-10 screamer 5 series engiens .. and their twin turbo V-8... when some of them are only medium old.. the engine repairs on them will be in the 10,000 to 20,000 dollar range. Not kidding either. same for the exotic semi-automatic paddle shifter transmissions.. $ 12,000 to fix those with say 90K miles on it ....very likely. might even be 'normal' at dealers and fancy shops when they are about 9 or 11 or so years old.

Most BMW auto transmissions are sealed units. any repair is a whole new one , pretty likely, and not cheap either. heck.. their modern engines don't even have engine oil dipsticks !! listen to this .. this is the official test procedure when the oil level circuit acts up .. first add oil.. if that doesn't work..( and you can't tell how much is in it really ) . drain the oil.. add the correct amount.. if it's still messed up..then dive in on the circitry and electronics associated with it. One whole step is because it does not have a silly simple dipstick. that is DUMB !.

a great car new .. a scary car to own when old, the more modern BMW's . same for Audi's .. mercedes too. highly complex .. I'm even thinking lately the factorys' goal is to get them through 100,000 miles without a lot of issues and expense. and they don't even intend that people will drive them to 150K miles and above.

read something about the Audi RS8..whatever the rear engine sports car is .. comes in V-8 and later V-10 engines .. someting like the whole car was intended to last ..might have been 250kilometers.. it was around the 160K miles area .. and that was the inteneded service life of it. maybe they even take it back for recycling after the inteneded service life.. which I think was in the below 200K miles range .

good luck on that AC ! call around to some AC shops and ask them if they have dealth with that specific problem on that model Bimmer. you might luck out and find one that knows what the normal failure is, the fix, and how much.

scott www.turbovans.com.

scott

----- Original Message ----- From: "John Rodgers" <inua@CHARTER.NET> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Friday, July 01, 2011 8:15 PM Subject: Frydaye Follies - BMW question