Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2011, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 30 Jun 2011 21:44:12 -0800
From:         Troy <colorworks@GCI.NET>
Subject:      Solar Panel outdoor electrical connect

I wanted to thank everyone who responded to my original question about connectors for solar panel electrical connectors. There are definitely some ingenious ideas out there for getting power from outside to inside. From the city water inlet, to routing things back to the license plate. I really appreciate the links to sources as well, which always seem hard to find.

I had originally used some connectors designed for automotive work that are waterproof. I believe they are called performance plus connectors, and can be found on eBay and Amazon.

I wish I had known about Anderson power pole connectors from the get-go, as it seems like a nicely designed system.-- no gender specific connectors and very modular in design. In fact, looking at their site in detail, I discovered there is hardware designed to mount their connectors, say to the underside of the van or on the side of a cabinet, etc. This is certainly much cheaper than buying any 12 V m/f adapters.

I am going to go ahead and mount a couple of their power pole connectors on the underside of the van somewhere just forward of the propane tank, and then route the wire up into the sink cabinet (through a grommet) and behind the driver's seat where my controller is. I bought one of their dust covers as well to keep the rain out. Mounting the connectors on the underside of the van is going to keep it out of the rain anyway, but I don't believe their connectors are waterproof. I may opt to use a little bit of heat shrink tape where the wire enters the connectors. It appears they do have waterproof connectors for larger gauge wire, but not 10 or 12 gauge, unless I missed that on their site.

Lasty, I just wanted to mention that the service from this site for Anderson powerpole connectors is fantastic! http://www.powerwerx.com/anderson-powerpoles/

These guys shipped my order out within an hour! I especially appreciate the priority mail option here in Alaska. Lots of companies want to charge $30 for a $5 order. Great folks.

Again, thanks to all who responded!

Troy