Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2011, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 2 Jul 2011 13:36:18 -0400
From:         Edward Maglott <emaglott3@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Clunking/grinding noise in back end

Annie, That noise description sounds like a CV joint to me. I've replaced one of my outer ones and it fixed that noise. I'm now doing the other one and hope it will fix the noise that has returned. It has a torn boot. I am among those who advocate using only OEM quality CV joints. There are a lot of cheap (in $$) rebuilt axles out there that may be fine... or not.

The "shifting" is more disturbing and could be dangerous. I would first check the tire inflation all around and also the lug bolts. Loose lug bolts could cause the clunking/squeaking/grinding. Also check the bolts on the CV joints. The paint mark on the bumper does not seem like indication of an accident severe enough to break something in your rear end. After checking the bolts and tire pressure I would go to a big empty parking lot and try slowly swerving and driving in tight circles. If the clunking is worse when you are accelerating in tight circle, that points to CV joint. Edward

At 12:52 PM 7/2/2011, Annie wrote: >About a week ago, I got in my van and drove home after being at the grocery >store. When I'd been driving for about 5 minutes, an odd noise started >coming from the back end, mostly on the passenger side. > >It's very hard to describe - kind of a clunking/grinding/rubbing noise with >a short high pitched squeak once in a while. It only starts after driving >for about 5 minutes and usually happens above 20 mph. Then, the faster you >go, the more intense it gets. > >Last year, we replaced the passenger side axle, wheel bearings, CV joints >and all that. > >The transmission seems to be shifting fine, no hard shifting or anything >(it's an automatic). The brakes seem fine and don't feel soft or hard or >spongy or like they're dragging or anything so I don't think it's brake or >transmission related. > >Does anybody have any suggestions as to what it might be? What should I be >looking for? Should I still be driving it? > >I have looked under the van and there seems to be quite a bit of grease >towards the middle of the rear end. Where might that be coming from? Could >it be related to the sounds I'm hearing? > >Also, when I turn a corner, the back end seems to "shift" - I don't know how >to describe it. Kinda like something feels loose. > >A few days after this noise began, and I was looking things over back there, >I noticed a slight wrinkle in my rear bumper, just right of center along >with some green paint. It looks like a greenish colored vehicle must have >hit the van in the parking lot that day. I'm guessing perhaps this has >caused whatever is going on. > >Any thoughts appreciated! > >Thanks! > > *Annie* Blogger, Designer, Thinker & Mom email: lsandrsn@gmail.com* >*