Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2011, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 3 Jul 2011 05:55:56 -0400
From:         Mike <mbucchino@CHARTER.NET>
Subject:      Re: Tires again
Comments: To: Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>

I'm running Michelin Agilis 61 C tires (NLA) on the front and Agilis 81 D tires (now also NLA?) on the rear of my '87 Westy. As you said, this works out to be a great combination for smooth handling/ cornering. I'm running pressures as the tire sticker says.

I do need to address a right front suspension rattle that appears to be a loose shock absorber. All the bushings and ball-joints checked out fine by one of my mechanic friends. Not sure what else it could be there, as this van has under 95K miles on it.

Mike B.

D's in the rear and C's in the front works excellently ... and is on the tire sticker on 90 and 91 synco's ..or at least a few I've seen.

I just looked at a 91 GL. says 185 R14 C front and rear . at very high 43 front, 53 rear psi. ( i'd probably start out 36 front, 42 rear maybe. ) I never put 50 psi in any vanagon tire. I have started many trips with a big load and 48 psi on the rear cold. and an hour later on the freeway ...let out 5 psi or so ( hot ) ..ah ...how nice !

to high tire pressures are not 'better.' not in terms of ride and handling. if I run my Adventurewagon with Michin Agilles 205/65 R15 C's ( C load rating ) .. when I put on my Hkipalidda rear studless tires in the same size but D load rated.. the van immediately tracks down the stright highway better.. turn-in is about the same.. and cornering stability is noticeable better.

Vanagon truly do have sports car type syspenson on them. they are not trucks at all. the are 'sports vans' , truly. and they can benefit greatly from smart tire selection. 185 R14 D laod rating front and rear .. is a very common combination and not a good one at all in my opinion. and experience, and I know what i'm talking about.

what fun ! scott www.turbovans.com