Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2011, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 2 Jul 2011 10:47:24 -0400
From:         Ryan <easywind1975@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Dave Beierl is an Absolute Vanagon Jedi
Comments: To: "dbeierl@attglobal.net" <dbeierl@attglobal.net>

I sent my sob story SOS yesterday about overheating in traffic and discovering my rad fan wasn't working. Dave padded my inbox with detailed troubleshooting information yet just like on my steering wheel misadventure from last week he intuitively knew the problem.

Bad grounds, the infamous ground cluster wheels had let me down, I cleaned them and jumpered the coolant temp switch connector and was rewarded with the comforting purr of the vanagon radiator fan.

I have another problem going on though, yesterday when I turned the defroster on to clear the windshield the fan switch wouldnt return to the off position, the knob was a bit warm, I removed the fuse to keep on trucking not thinking much about it, dismissing it as another 25 yr old part failing on me. Then I had the rad fan mishap, I can't say with absolute certainty that it ad been working in the past few weeks, but I know my temp is always good as I am a hawk watching the gauge. Driving to the campground last night my wife pulls in and can't turn the lights off, the switch is stuck, she was able to turn headlights off but couldn't get parking lights off. I tried to unplug it real quick and it was real hot. I just disconnected the battery as it was late and I was shining lights on our neighbors tent. I messed with switch and it is locked in position/fused in position.

I'll have to figure something out to get us some light, would you believe up until late last year I had a spare light switch in my glovebox?

Could these switches heating up and fusing in one position be related to faulty grounds?

Ryan

Sent from my iPad