Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2011, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 9 Jul 2011 16:58:25 -0400
From:         Edward Maglott <emaglott3@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: front wheel noise

Ah ha. I'm now pretty sure it is the left wheel bearing. the "cage" that holds the rollers on the outer bearing is dark in color. When I turn that wheel off the ground I hear a rumble along with the brakes rubbing. On the right side I just hear the brake rubbing. I'll get a new wheel bearing for that side and that will probably fix it. Thanks for helping me think it through.

I wonder what makes that noise when they are worn out. the rollers look good, but maybe that cage is worn so they aren't tracking straight.

That's pretty much the same technique I use for getting the outer races in. I don't see how you use a socket to drift them out because they are in there sort of "blind." Especially the Inner bearing outer race which you have to get to through the small opening of the outer bearing. Light tapping is really all it takes and go slow alternating sides so it doesn't get cocked, like you say.

Edward

At 12:58 PM 7/9/2011, John Rodgers wrote: >Get the offending wheel off the ground, then gripe the tire at the >top and at the bottom and rock back and fourth in line with the >spindle, checking the amount of play. Loosen the nut then re-tighten >per Bentley. > >Regarding bearing races in the discs - I always use a big socket to >drive them out, then start the new ones back in by hand, then >lightly drive with a plastic mallet until I see they are started in >pretty straight and not cocked. Then I put a block of wood over the >race and tap against the block of wood, going in a circle, until the >race is seated. Notice I said TAP!! I saw a mechanic with many years >of experience crack the casting in the disk because he got in a >hurry and hammered that race - not tap. You don't want large >movement as this will tend to cock the race in the raceway, and that >leads to trouble. Small movements, induced by light tapping - just >enough to keep it moving. > >Regards, > >John > >John Rodgers >Clayartist and Moldmaker >88'GL VW Bus Driver >Chelsea, AL ><Http://www.moldhaus.com>Http://www.moldhaus.com >On 7/9/2011 9:15 AM, Edward Maglott wrote: >>I have a noise that sounds like it's in my right front >>wheel. Definitely sounds like its in one of the front wheels. It's >>speed dependent, rrrraaoo, rrrraaoo, rrrraaoo, and I would say it's a >>wheel bearing based on what I've heard and diagnosed over the >>years.