Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2011, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 11 Jul 2011 23:16:57 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Fwd: 84 Westy Fuel Pump Problem
Comments: To: nirav patel <agencia72@GMAIL.COM>

hmmmm.. some information that may help uncloud things ...

when you turn the key to on, ( not start ) ..the fuel pump should run for a few seconds and shut off. That is the normal indication, if it doesn't do that .someting is not working right.

The ecu turns on the fuel pump by supplying ground to the fuel pump relay ..the one on the right it the relay box agove the coil. The ecu also does that same thing .. supplies ground when it senses igniton happening.

and ..a way I like to test distributors, is just take one in my hand, plug it into the 3 wire connector on the harness and turn that dist with my fingers. each qtr turn should produce a spark out of the coil.. and make the fuel pump run.

if you turn one cylinder's worth ..you get a zap out of the coil wire, and fuel pump runs a few seconds.

i like doing it that way, turning the , or 'a' distritubor by hand, becuase when the starter it turning th engine ..you can't hear the fuel pump run very well.

I have never had to go to the ecu plug for any reason ....though there could be some problem there. I never even check voltage at relay pin numbers.. I just use basic 'substitute and bypass' .. for example.. on the fuel pump relay socket....if you jumpe the top wire ( after removing realy ) .that red wire, which is hot either all the time, or with key on, I forget which .... jumper that to the very bottom pin socket.. the fuel pump should run. right there....that tells you the wires and they pump, and it's ground, are all good.

when you turn on the key ( fuel pump relay plugged in ) the pump will run a few seconds. if it does that.. those 3 tests.. key on , pump runs a few seconds, jumper the two wires at the fp relay , and espeicially ...if fuel pump runs with distributor turning ( igntion on of course ) ...

if those all work .. electrcially the fuel pump is working. no further electrical troubleshooting is needed normally .

I use a lot of 'substitue and bypass.' as a diagnostic strategy .. for example , it won't run, you jumper or hot wire the fuel pump to make the pump run.. and then engine runs.. then you know to work on the fuel pump control circuit.

I have only heard of one 1.9 wbxr ecu ever, that would not supply grnd to run the fuel pump. and I had a bad 2.1 ecu recently for cutting out and intermittant igntion. fwiw. scott www.turbovans.com

----- Original Message ----- From: "nirav patel" <agencia72@GMAIL.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Monday, July 11, 2011 9:49 PM Subject: Fwd: 84 Westy Fuel Pump Problem