Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2011, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 12 Jul 2011 22:58:09 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Aboput the Syncro Adventurewagon and my part in it
Comments: To: Loren Busch <starwagen@GMAIL.COM>

to whoever said 'guy in southern oregon who likes to type a lot."

it's not liking to type per se of course. it is helping people figure out things on their vans. it is informing people to watch out for the too-common rather poor work that occures on vanagons often. and more, lots more.

yes, I use a lot of words to get my points across at times. And ... people can tell I care, that I'm very experienced in car and vanagon repair, and that I try as hard to do things right as is humanly possible. .. and ...it pays off. People bring me their vans, and their engines for rebuilding , from out of state ... people bring me their vanagons from the other end of the state for 'ordinary vanagon repair ' becuase they know it will get done really right.. that they'll be informed about other things the van needs ..etc. Typically .. a van comes in for 3 issues.. I just show them other things not right .. I don't mind if they decline to fix them .. I just show them the wrong things, the dumb things, the corroded things .. ( I could go on forever about all the dumb wrong things I see.. here's a typcial one .. 84 Vanagon with auto trans...new trans installed by semi-fancy vanagon shop in Washington .. shifter is not adjusted so it'll go into 1st and stay there. !st gear is not selectible. I don't know about anyone else..but how can someone replace an auto trans and not adjust the shift linkage so all features are accessbile ??? - that's the kind of thing I see all the time .

since I talk about stuff lik that..smart people will get that I am somene genuinely trying as hard as possible to do perfect work at great value. I am flat buried in way more vanagon work than I can begin to handle.. and those washington people are eager to get their van to me because they know I'll do really good work on it.

so it's not 'just typing a lot' .. it is talking about what really good vanagon repair is about .. and I'm real happy to help people figure out what is wrong with their van online, etc. it's paying off let's say. heck...few of the local vanagon people even know about me because they are not on all these groups. I don't even depend on the 150+ local vanagons for business. Most jobs come from far away even. If I ever listed all the dumb things I've seen done of vanagons .. and by shops too ...the list would go on forever. Most car repair is not over what I call 'about 80 %' .

it's like when I find a really,. realy good parts person ..I stick with them for decades. A really sharp parts person is fairly rare even. You find someone that puts their heart in soul into what they do .. they're detail and value orientated ... they have a background ..I never even mention that.. I have been working on cars almost full time since 1964. I have worked on just about every kind of car there is. I have been doing 'scott foss foreign car and consulting' for 26 years straight. I have sold and done thousands and thousands of car jobs. I have taken dozens of fancy courses is all knids of stuff. I have worked on aircraft in avionics ( the nav/weapons/radar/infrared/computer/com stuff ) . I have built and raced cars and motorcycles. and more ... smart people pick up on that and know that they can't quite get what I can provide many places. And I'm not even expensive really. And I work my butt off ...like 60+ hour weeks..

and I will do 'whatever it takes' to get the result. if it takes 30 hours to figure some weird thning out..that's what I do. And I never don't get the result. It might take a long long time sometimes..but I always get the result. I never turn anything out saying it's fixed unless it really is. If it's not, I'll tell you. I do whatever it takes to get 'em right. And sometimes that is a lot, lol ! I don't even know how shops or people can replace parts and not address all the associated things crying out for attention.. like rusted things. I work wholistically on the whole van. And it is not at all just about 'replacing parts.' And now people are showing up just handing out money so a guy can keep his vanagon .. must be doing something right. What fun ! I intend to ease off on this tread. I have made my points about it. And ...I say, don't sell rare incredible sycro vanagons too cheaply ! It's bad for the vans and the market in them. That means YOUR syncro van will retain and increase in value .. now you like that, right !?

you know who.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Loren Busch" <starwagen@GMAIL.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Tuesday, July 12, 2011 9:39 PM Subject: Re: [Syncro] PERFECT wireless thermometer for the westfalia fridge!