Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2011, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 13 Jul 2011 13:39:24 -0500
From:         Dave Mcneely <mcneely4@COX.NET>
Subject:      Insurance

I apologize, since this has been a subject much discussed, but I am having a bit of a (now getting to be lengthy) discussion with insurance agents, including current and prospective, regarding insurance on my 1991 Volkswagen Vanagon GL Campmobile.

NADA gives an "average" sales price of about $6900, or for an "excellent" vehicle of about $10,400. I would describe my camper as being in "very good" condition, certainly better than the average 21 year old van. It has excellent air conditioning, all camping features are excellent, and it runs very well. Body is completely rust free and paint is in very good condition. Never been wrecked other than slight fender bender before I bought it (revealed by PO and confirmed by body shop inspection). Most mechanical systems have had necessary attention in the last few thousand miles. The 2.1 waterboxer has only 30K miles, and the chassis has 158K.

One agent offered to write an agreed value policy for $15K, but there are restrictions on use, such as "not for regular transport of passengers and goods," and generally "for show and event driving only." Errands and commuting (don't do the latter, the former sometimes rarely) are specifically excluded. She also offered an agreed value policy for $10K which would not have those restrictions. My current agent will not write an agreed value policy without restricting mileage to no more than 6K miles per year.

So, what is a 1991 Volkswagen Vanagon GL Campmobile in very good condition worth in this market? I don't think I could replace what I have, as dependable as it is, for less than $12 or $14K. Sure, I could get one for $5 to $10K, and then start with new fuel hoses, water pump, coolant hoses, radiator, tires, brakes ............... before I would be willing to take out across the country. So, what do you guys say? If the $6900 that NADA quotes is reasonable, maybe I will drop all coverage except liability on the beast, but that does not seem reasonable to me.

mcneely