Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2011, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 14 Jul 2011 08:28:12 -0400
From:         ed donnen <spliced.surprise@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Demons VI

Rust Demons VI-Nomenclature

Every group has its own special use for words. It wasn’t until I joined this list that I learned I drove a DOKA. Now I'm taking an auto body class, and I have to re-learn words. Dolly used to mean a four wheel platform to move furniture about, now it means a heavy, polished, curved bit of metal you back sheet metal against whilst you pound the other side with a body hammer. A cheese grater? Used to be a surform tool for rasping wood. Now a cheese grater is used when body putty is half cured to remove the lumpy bits. And when did paint stop being called paint? Now it's called undercoat. And what I thought was undercoat is called primer. And an Air File actually uses sand paper. Fixing a dent is like planting a tree- dig a $10 hole for a $1 tree. A one inch dent might take a smear of body filler 8 to 10 inches in length.

Wed. Night class: I pulled my tail light assembly to try another angle at getting into my engine bay. There was so much rust in there I was taken aback and affronted at the same time, which made for a bit of a squeeze in the middle I can tell you. There were insect tents in every nook and cranny, an entire civilization living and dying right in my tail light assembly. Generation after generation wondering what those flashes of red and yellow lights were, appearing at random intervals. Also some pockets of water, which got me thinking...How can stagnant water be unhealthy when with microscopic inspection you can see it is teaming with life. All that life means it must be healthy, right? Final count- Two more panels cut out, and I didn't catch my truck on fire even once this week!

ed-going like 60, windows down, yelling, "Eat My Rust"