Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2011, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 14 Jul 2011 11:45:03 -0500
From:         John Rodgers <inua@CHARTER.NET>
Subject:      Re: Air in the brake lines?
Comments: To: T Collins <tonycollin@GMAIL.COM>

On;y way to be absolutey certain it IS NOT air in the lines is to bleed your brakes again - and this time do it yourself so you can see the fluid coming out, or have it doen and stand there and watch. I get a helper to man the brakes and pur brake fouid in the tank - and I get underneath with a wrench, a piece of clear plastic tubing and clear soft drink bottle. I put the clear tube on the bleeder, turn it, have my helper pump the brakes, and watch the fluid flow into the bottle until the fluid runs clear in the tube, then I close it off. I have my helper top off the tank, and I move to the next one. This is not a hard task, but to be certain that your bleed job is correct - you must do it yourself.

If after all this, you still have problems, then start looking at the brake master or even the brake booster. I don't know how you would test the booster, but an internal failure in the master will allow you to have a good pedal one moment then suddenly go down. If it does that - relace the brake master cylinder.

John

John Rodgers Clayartist and Moldmaker 88'GL VW Bus Driver Chelsea, AL Http://www.moldhaus.com

On 7/14/2011 10:20 AM, T Collins wrote: > I had my brakes services a little while ago. One of the charges was for > bleeding the system. I thought that I had been feeling some mushy brake > pedal feeling when initially starting the vanagon. I dismissed it as getting > used to the new brakes/pedal/bleeding feel. > > The last few days i have noticed this pedal feel to be worse. Like maybe the > system was not bleed appropriately. The feeling goes away after a while of > driving. I want to make sure that this is not a booster type thing going on > it was not happening before the service. > > My hunch is air in the lines that gets compressed as I used the brakes more > and more, but that fade/mushy feeling gets worst on initial operation > because of the previous compression of gas and liquid. > > Please, could the collective advise? > > Thanks, > Tony > > -- > 82 Scirocco "Rodolfo" > 85 Vanagon "El Guapo" > http://groups.google.com/group/wash-co-vws2<http://groups.google.com/group/wash-co-vws2?lnk=gcimh> > (new) > >