Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2011, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 14 Jul 2011 16:26:20 -0700
From:         Rob <becida@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Re: Power steering rack install?

I'm looking for a working power steering in what started out as an '83 air cooled van. It's getting a Subie & I'm wondering if the PS rack bolts in or what... plus what else HAS to be done to make it work.

Rob becida@comcast.net

At 7/14/2011 12:38 PM, Scott Daniel - Turbovans wrote: >Is the goal to just have a PS rack installed.. ( like that's what >you have around and your manual rack is worn out ) >or to have a working PS system ? > >You can put PS in an 83. I have done it. >beside the rack, you need the rod that goes to it from the what I >call 'V -steering box." > >and of course all lines, pump, res etc. >and.. >here's a little gotcha ...the fuel tank will have to come out ( if >using stock parts ) to cut some notches on the inbaord side of the >frame, right below the fuel fillter neck area .. >for the stock pipes to pass through, to get around the fuel tank. > >or you could use an aftermarket 'all hoses' set, sold by various vendors. > >another consideration .. >the steering ratio of the spindles is slightly different between PS >and non-PS .. >( the non-PS is a 'slower' ratio ...) . >ideally, you would install front PS spindles too. > >and smaller steering wheel of course. >lotta work, but the result was rewarding. > >scott >www.turbovans.com >----- Original Message ----- From: "Rob" <becida@COMCAST.NET> >To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> >Sent: Thursday, July 14, 2011 11:21 AM >Subject: Power steering rack install? > > >>I'm going on the assumption that a power steering rack just bolts >>into a Vanagon that did not come with one (an '83), am I missing >>something major here with this assumption? >> >>Does anyone know of a good TheSamba thread where they put a power >>steering rack into one for the first time? >> >>Thanks, >> >>Rob >>becida@comcast.net