Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2011, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 17 Jul 2011 11:14:05 -0500
From:         Tom Hargrave <thargrav@HIWAAY.NET>
Subject:      Re: understanding tire sizes
Comments: To: The Bus Depot <vanagon@BUSDEPOT.COM>

That's true, and the reason a wider tire will hydroplane faster & have less traction in snow than a narrower tire is the wider tire presents a wider cross section to oncoming rain & snow.

It's kind of the difference between water-skiing and water-boarding (not the CIA version). It's easy to lift out someone of the water with a water board, but almost impossible with one ski.

Thanks, Tom Hargrave www.stir-plate.com www.towercooler.com www.kegkits.com

> Part of the tire selection process has to include intended > use. If you drive at moderate speeds in fair weather than a > skinny rib type truck tire will suffice. If winter and/or > high speeds are part of the plan than there are better > choices.

Actually the opposite is largely true. All things being equal, a wider tire will hydroplane at lower speeds than a narrower one (sources: PopularMechanics.com, Tire Rack Technical Articles, et. al.), and will also have inferior snow traction (sources: MotorTrend.com "Tire Myths and Reality", et. al.).

Therefore, a narrower tire like a 185 will be more "sure footed" when driving at highway speed in rain or snow than an otherwise identical 205 tire. The 205 tire, by comparison, will have a bit more traction on dry roads, but suffer during adverse weather conditons. So the decision process would actually be the opposite of what you suggest. If you are primarily concerned with fair-weather driving, a 205 tire would theoretically be your better choice. But if you are most concerned about your Vanagon's handling during adverse driving conditions such as rain or snow, a 185 tire would theoretically handle those road conditions better.

Of course we are not talking a huge difference in width between these two particular sizes - only 3/4 of an inch - so the variation is likely to be relatively small anyway. Also this assumes that the tires are otherwise identical, which is not always the case. Otherwise, other factors such as tread design and compound also come into play. If we were comparing two all-season tires, such as the Hankook and the Altimax, the above comparison might largely hold true. But if we were comparing a summer-only 185 series tire like a Yokohama or Continental to an all-season 205 series tire, that would be apples and oranges.

- Ron Salmon The Bus Depot, Inc. www.busdepot.com (215) 234-VWVW