Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2011, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 18 Jul 2011 00:38:15 -0400
From:         John Lauterbach <jhlauterbach@BELLSOUTH.NET>
Subject:      Re: Running Rich
Comments: To: Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>

Dennis,

I remember something from a lab electronics class decades ago that the wrong voltmeter would give inaccurate results with low-voltage sources such as sensors. I didn't worry about this as long as my 1967 Heathkit VTVM still worked. The VTVM is history. What are you using for a voltmeter?

Thank you,

John

On Sun, 2011-07-17 at 23:10 -0400, Dennis Haynes wrote: > You can measure the voltage output of the O2 sensor to determine if it is working and if you are actually running rich. It is unlikely that you are running only slightly rich. The system generally works or it doesn't. When it doesn't it can go so rich that the engine nearly dies and you will even see black smoke. You may actually have a cylinder miss fire problem. Some good diagnoses will help you. > > Dennis > > -----Original Message----- > From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com] On Behalf Of Harry Hoffman > Sent: Sunday, July 17, 2011 5:12 PM > To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > Subject: Running Rich > > Hi All, > > So the van is running rich, or at least the exhaust smell more like gas than exhaust. > > I've got a new O2 sensor in place (it's the original 3wire one) which I've disconnected to see if things would get better but they haven't. > The temp 2 sensor was recently replaced by my mechanic when he put in new threads on cylinder 2 sparkplug. > > I've also been reading a bit online trying to troubleshoot. Here are some things I know: > > On start the idle is just below 1k rpms and remains so while driving. > The throttle switch makes the "click" when moved from it's closed position with the engine off. > The van is responsive in all gears and easily drives 60mph > > I don't know what else to check, so any pointers would be great. I've got a long list of google results for "vanagon running rich" which I'm pouring through now. > > In good news, my mechanic replaced my sender unit and fixed my odomter so I no longer have to rely on my phone's gps to see if I'm gonna run out of gas!!! > > Cheers, > Harry