Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2011, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 18 Jul 2011 12:42:35 -0500
From:         Dave Mcneely <mcneely4@COX.NET>
Subject:      Re: Decent grab loop?
Comments: To: Rocket J Squirrel <camping.elliott@GMAIL.COM>

---- Rocket J Squirrel <camping.elliott@GMAIL.COM> wrote: > I should-a saved the strap so I could photo it. > > It simply pulled apart on both sides of the hole, where the strap is at > its thinnest. From the day I put it up and tugged on it I thought that > it felt too stretchy to last for long. Lacking the cotton cordage core, > it's just rubber. Got it from Airhead, as Jim Thompson pointed to. > > I presently weigh 175 lbs and the thing should not have parted the way > it did. Before it parted, my son (165 lbs) used it and commented that he > didn't feel it was trustworthy, the way it stretched. > > If this is the only available replacement, I'm not impressed.

Hmmmmm....... . I use the original strap, and it is seemingly quite strong. But I have never applied much weight to such assists. Rather, I use this and other straps or grabs more for balance. My wife, who only weighs about 100 lbs, does apply a little weight when stepping into the van cabin area, but not much. We have actually discussed this and both felt like balance was the main purpose of the things.

Now, regarding the quality of an assist strap: Perhaps one could make one himself, from webbing similar to the original, or the sort of stuff used for tie downs or towing.

mcneely; sent from Edmond, Oklahoma where temperatures have been running around 105-113 for afternoon highs for weeks now. On track to surpass 1980 as the hottest summer ever.