Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2011, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 15 Jul 2011 13:19:10 -0700
From:         Gary Bawden <goldfieldgary@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Cross-country trip report

Greetings Vanagoneers,

I've been meandering my way back home after leaving Florida and Alabama where I had the pleasure of meeting some folks from the list. John Rodgers and I commandeered a corner of the local Cracker Barrel, Unca Joel made an appearance after driving up from Tuscaloosa, and the three of us swapped stories for the next couple of hours.

The next morning I drove up to Madison, AL, where I had the pleasure of meeting Jim Felder, another diesel Vanagon afficianado. Jim is extremely knowledgable about VW diesels, and he found and fixed the fuel leak I've had all the way across the country in about two minutes flat. Thanks, Jim!

I was considering heading farther north, but opted for the other direction, partly because I wanted to find some cypress lumber, which, in fact, I found in a little town in Mississippi - - so now I have 37 eight-foot cypress planks lashed to my roof rack. Any fuel savings garnered by Jim's handiwork will likely be lost to added wind resistance! But you can't find cypress just anywhere, so...

Currently I'm eating lunch in Pecos, TX, and will head up past Guadalupe Mountains Nat'l Park before heading into New Mexico. Already the humidity has lessened, a couple more days and I might be dried out to my normal prune-like appearance! :^)

The AAZ diesel is performing very well. I think I'm getting just slightly less MPG than I was in my old 1.6 n/a diesel, but I don't have to run up every hill in third gear, either, so it's a pretty fair compromise. Not for everyone who is considering an engine swap, however. I thought long anf hard about a Bostig conversion, I got to drive Craig Cowan's a couple of years ago when he was working for the summer in Reno, and it's a very peppy number, no doubt trouble-free, but I knew that without the sound and smell of a diesel, I'd never feel happy about the swap. So an AAZ it is! I was going to do the swap myself, but my better half convinced me to just have it done, so off to Scott Daniel it went, I'm very happy I did it that way. Scott's work is impeccable!

OK, then, more later, the open road awaits!

Gary