Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2011, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 20 Jul 2011 00:16:02 +0000
From:         brett rueff <rueffy@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      trip report - rockies for 3 days

This trip was to put the Van to a good test. 3 climbers/hikers needed to move from vancouver to the rockies and climb 3 peaks in 3 days and then get me home. We were expecting long days on the mountains and the van had to be able to provide mobility, sleep and food quickly with minimum fuss.....and it was great.

Went from Vancouver to Salmon Arm after work on thursday. Salmon arm was in the process of being invaded by bikers for the first "sturgess north". Negotiated some free camping just north of salmon arm thanks to a very gracious local. Van went great up the highway...(this is where I apologise to the purists) as the EJ22 powered me along at about 120km/h.....only had to gear down from 4th to 3rd for two hills on the coquahalla and was able to maintain 85-95km/h up those hills.

Next day up and drive to lake Louise for our first scramble - 3 hours up and back the tower of babel near moraine lake. Back to the van, over to lake louise campground about 8pm for a quick bite and crash to bed. Woken up at 1am by the "wild life" making screaming noises of pleasure.....who does that in a 450 site campground!!

Next day drive to Banff and slog our way up the long but not techinal Mt Rundel. Back to teh van exhausted at 7am, meet some friends in Banff for a BBQ (cooked next to the van) and back to castle mountain campground at 11pm. No time to even do the dishes - crash to bed again....thank goodness for the quick conversion from car to tent!

Up the next morning, back to Lake Louise for what I consider to be one of the finest hikes/scrambles i've ever done. Highly recommend Mt Nibblock overlooking Lake Loise. It was a long 9 hours but well worth it. Once again back to the van exhaustsed, over to the campground for food and more sleep.

Monday we drove back to vancouver.

Great trip. Cant believe how many westies I was - at least 20 if not 30 both on the road and a lot in the national park campgrounds - thanks for all the waves guys and girls. I was in the grey van with the Hella driving lights I tend to flash at fellow westy's.

A few niggles to deal with - exhaust header has a rattle. New powerstearing pump leaked a little - fixed it enroute. Skylight rattles - need to fix that. Sliding door internal cover pops out and jams the sliding door a couple of times....but otherwise a great trip - why I love the westy....transport, food, shelter all rolled into one package that lets me move 4 people fast and get what we want done!

Brett Langley, BC