Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2011, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 15 Jul 2011 18:40:04 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Rear Wheel bearing...diagnostic question..
Comments: To: Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>

with it running in gear, with that RR in the air .. get a nice long 'listening rod'. I like a 2 1/2 foot piece of hardwood.. but ..even a good long screw driver will work.

put the end against the bearing housing.. the other against you ear ( like on that flap there ) .. and listen for rumbly sounds.

compare sides. and .. they sedom fail really .. they just get older and looser and more worn, mainly the outer rear wheel brg.

'eventually' ..it's just time to do them. as for play at the wheel.. with wheel/tire on .. and tilted it top to bottom .. a 'sold 1/8th inch' would be pushing the uacceptible level of wear and loosenss. . like 'that's a lot. '

1/16th of an inch .. that's ok. they start at zero play.. there is no adjustment similar or even related to how the front wheel brg play is adjusted .. other than the big nut being properly tight back there. there is no adjustment.

they can be a little intense to do. a press is highly desirable for the job.

scott

----- Original Message ----- From: "Don Hanson" <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Friday, July 15, 2011 1:05 PM Subject: Rear Wheel bearing...diagnostic question..