Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2011, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 20 Jul 2011 13:57:40 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Watching Oil Temp (long, as usual)
Comments: To: mcneely4@COX.NET

re Is there enough oil to be sure everything is oiled adequately at that level?"

and such. A wet sump engine is a compromise somewhat. there are two main forms of oiling going on.. oil under pressure to the bearings - crankshaft , cam, intermediate shaft if there is one, etc.

and splash. The cylinder walls say .. those get lubed by spash or by oil coming out of the rod bearings .. basically, there is oil flying everywhere. naturally .. if oil level is low ..bearings may still get pressure .. but everything oiled ( and cooled somewhat ) by oil will get less.

Better built engines have little oil nozsles that squirt oil under pressure onto the undersides of the pistons. All vw turbo diesel engines have that. all 1.9 diesels, NA or turbo, have them. Many later high performance inlne gas four VW engines have them.

then there is the matter of crankcase pressure. Basically ...it would be nice not to have any .. in the old days oil fumes and crankcase pressue was just dumped overbaord .. the 'road draft tube' ...a vertical tube sitcking straight down , usually off the side of the block - the bottom of the tube is cut off an an angle..so the air flowing by provides a slight vacuum there. My first car, a 56 Chevy inline six had that. I moved to california in the late 60's ..and had to retro fit PVC ..postiive crankcase ventilation .. the first smog device of any kind. With that system, crankcase blowby is sucked into the intake manfiodl and burned.. and all engines have that system now.

I mention that because ..if you overfill oil.. you get too much crankcase pressure, which can be a very bad thing. If you want to ruin an engine ..just overfill it badly. I had a rabbit diesel customer, who put 4 extra qts in his engine. It was locked up solid. removing the injectors and cranking the engine shot oil 30 feet. Once running, it smoked like hell.. whether from an exhaust system full of oil, or damaged rings I never did find out. It was a real mess though.

so regarding crankcase ventilation and blow-by ...oil level can't be too high. there is also the affect of oil in the sump and the crankshaft.. if the crankshaft can whip the oil into a froth ...that's extremely bad news.

oils are fomuated though, with anti-foaming/frothing properties.

It's sure been studied and researched a lot ....lots and lots and lots...for racing, for engine longevity etc. I do believe 'between the marks' is excellent advice, and that's what I do.

it goes on and on ..there are subaru-vanagon guys with late model engines that smoke white smoke out the tail pipe under load and lugging. They are going nutty on their crankcase breathing systems. In racing cars.. they work very hard to get rid of crankcase pressure .. and a 'catch can' or tank ....to collect oil fumes that turn into oil droplets, is common.

and we won't even talk about Dry Sump oil systems.. that's a whole other world. You can study about engine oil, and engine oil systems 'forever.' There's a lot to it.

but the logical simple answer is 'oil level between the marks.' and you won't get in trouble sticking to that, I do believe.

also ..'old wives tales' about oil and engines .. like run it a qt low .. or put ...whatever in it ....cod liver oil ..I never pay attention to any of those. I mean really .. manfufacturers spend MILLIONS ( and the military, etc. etc. etc. ) studying this. How likely is it that Farmer Joe is going to discover that a bit of yogurt in the oil is a new magic cure. Not likely at all, is what.

I do believe in some addtives sometimes. I like Prolong transmission additive ..can tell the difference in shifting. On engine oil.. just use decent quality stuff, drive it nice, keep 'er in perfect tune, change oil ( and other critical fluids ) in an appropiate manner, and you'll do just fine. And keep it between the marks usually.

scott www.turbovans.com

----- Original Message ----- From: "Dave Mcneely" <mcneely4@COX.NET> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Wednesday, July 20, 2011 1:01 PM Subject: Re: Watching Oil Temp (long, as usual)