Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2011, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 21 Jul 2011 09:23:56 -0500
From:         Dave Mcneely <mcneely4@COX.NET>
Subject:      Re: Strategy for low-mess oil drain.
Comments: To: Rocket J Squirrel <camping.elliott@GMAIL.COM>

---- Rocket J Squirrel <camping.elliott@GMAIL.COM> wrote: > Siphons are one of my favorite ways to move fluids because I like any > method that requires no fancy gear and no power. Has anyone tried > siphoning engine oil outta that dipstick hole?

"No fancy gear"? I'd definitely use some sort of pump, something like a pipette pump writ large, or one of those pumps aquarists use to clean fish tanks (can get rubber bulb versions). Ah, in the volumes we are talking about --- Tada! Turkey baster. The times I've tried to initiate a siphon by mouth, I've often ended up with a mouth full of whatever. Aquarium water, not so bad. Oil, that would be real bad.

mcneely > > -- RJS > > On Wed, 2011-07-20 at 21:09 -0700, Karl Wolz wrote: > > > Can you go to Home Depot and get a length of 1/8" (or whatever fits) tubing, > > shove it down the dipstick hole, and siphon out a pint or so? > > > > Karl Wolz > > > > > > > > |-----Original Message----- > > |From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com] > > |On Behalf Of Rocket J Squirrel > > |Sent: Wednesday, July 20, 2011 8:31 PM > > |To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > > |Subject: Strategy for low-mess oil drain. > > | > > |(Number 287 In A Continuing Series Of Knucklehead Questions) > > | > > |I used to change the oil in my aircooled every 1,500 miles. I > > |got so I didn't make much of a mess. Unscrewed the drain plug, > > |let it drop onto the screen on the used oil catcher, and sat > > |back until the drool of oil tapered off to drips. > > | > > |So after hearing that my oil is likely to run cooler if the > > |oil level is between the halfway mark and the "fill" mark on > > |the dipstick (mine's halfway between the halfway mark and the > > |"full" mark) I'd like to drain a bit of the oil. > > | > > |But my former strategy won't work here: I have to cram that > > |plug back in after dropping only a pint or so. > > | > > |Do I have to bite the bullet and just reach into the stream > > |and hope to get the plug started before too darn much oil has > > |sluiced down my sleeve, or is there a smarter way? > > | > > |Wait, wait -- I can just drain all the oil and then re-fill the thing. > > |Duh. > > | > > | > > |-- > > |Rocky J Squirrel (Jack Elliott) > > |'84 Westfalia: Mellow Yellow ("The Electrical Banana") > > |'74 Westrailia: (Ladybug Trailer company, San Juan Capistrano, > > |Calif.) Bend, OR KG6RCR > > |----- > > |No virus found in this message. > > |Checked by AVG - www.avg.com > > |Version: 10.0.1390 / Virus Database: 1518/3777 - Release Date: > > |07/20/11 > >

-- David McNeely