Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2011, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 16 Jul 2011 18:30:35 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Right turn into driveway kills engine (1.9L '84 2-WD)
Comments: To: John Lauterbach <jhlauterbach@BELLSOUTH.NET>

Hi.. I just start checking every adjustment in the whole fuel injection setup, the short answer is 'check everything' .........and then some. every air hose.. fuel pressure .. ignition timing .. throttle switch making contact at zero throttle.. oxygen sensor, and 02 sensor wiring .. on and on. ground connections etc.

I would look for it to fall into one of two main realms..

1....various things are out of whack and not to spec.. and more than one thing too ( ! ) ..not just 'one thing'. It is seldom 'one thing.' It's 5 half things .. and when you find and fix them, the van with be fixed for this issue.

or 2.. things are all pretty close and within spec.. and it is genuinely something intermittent. I have seen intermittent fuel delivery out of a very old fuel tank. I have seen intermittent ignition 1.9 wbxr engines. I only just recently found a source for a New Idle Stabizler .. I've replaced Hall Senders for intermittent ignition ..

so it's consistent and you find it ..great. btw.. wiggle wires and hoses and things will the engine is idle...see if you can get it act up. watch the engine run in total darkness.. if you see tiny sparks...replace spark plug wires.

it it's a truly intermittent thing..like ignition .. you just have to stay after it until you finally get it. ...'whatever it takes' is a helpful motto there.

Like if you can find something that is 'it' for sure .. that sure is nice !

I would say an essential problem might be not recognizing when things are not like they should be ... like seeing some part or adjustment and knowing what it supposed to be like...and correcting it. If you don't know what is normal in the first place....that makes it harder of course.

Scott www.turbovans.com

----- Original Message ----- From: "John Lauterbach" <jhlauterbach@BELLSOUTH.NET> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Saturday, July 16, 2011 9:28 AM Subject: Re: Right turn into driveway kills engine (1.9L '84 2-WD)