Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2011, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 21 Jul 2011 08:23:44 -0400
From:         ed donnen <spliced.surprise@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Rust Demons VII

Rust Demons VII- Know your enemy

The more I look, the more rust I find. This project is a bit daunting. But then I remembered, "How do you eat an Elephant? One bite at a time." I cleaned out my cargo bay and got about a pound of rust flakes. My question is- what is the equivalent weight of real metal that created a pound of rust?

Now we all remember from school that Iron is Fe #26, 55.8 with +2 and +3 oxidation states. (I think this means it can make a double or a triple bond) Oxygen is #8, 15.999 with an oxidation state of -2 (Makes a double bond). FeO, double bond to double bond, would therefore weigh 71.8/55.8 or 1.29 times the weight of the Fe alone. Fe2O3, triple bonds on the Iron, would weigh 55.8 X 2 + 15.999 X 3 or 159.6/111.6 or 1.43 times the weight of the Fe alone. Right?

Although many of you are probably ready to refute this allegation, I really don't know what the above means to the average owner lying on the ground covered with rust, dust, oil and dirt. Yeah, I'm talking about YOU.

So, knowing the curb weight of a 91 Doka is 3,025lb , what would the total changed weight be in rust in my driveway? Inquiring minds want to know? Ed- eating the Rust Elephant one bite at a time PS- If you don't completely clean your POR15 can top it will weld itself to the can before you can use it again. Honest.