Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2011, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 24 Jul 2011 19:08:15 -0700
From:         Roland <syncronicity1@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      We went to Mammoth Lakes for a few days...

What a great place, it was our first visit there, really nice country. Up the Owens Valley from San Diego, straight up 395, first time driving this stretch in many years, fantastic terrain. We camped in the Lake Mary area,the campground just opened a couple of weeks before because the heavy snow was still around and blocked the roads. Very nice spot, just 50 feet from a creek full of snowmelt. We visited Mono Lake and the Devil's Postpile (and related things), all sites I've never explored before. And the lakes in this area are really fantastic.

The Van did great, before we left there were murmurs of: "Hey Dad, are you sure the Van will make it?" And it all went very well, the good ol' 2.1 was fine, we cruised at average 65 mph. She only yelped once, there is a 9-10 mile uphill (5-6%) from Bishop to Mammoth Lakes, at about 8.5 miles or so the oil pressure buzzer came on; I half expected it. The oil was higher than the 1/2 point after a change last January, and I've had the uphill-foaming-oil buzzer before. I just pulled over and let it idle for 3-4 minutes and all was well. In addition, as we know the power loss at altitude is real. We were at 8,000 - 9,000 ft. and uphills had to be done in 3rd gear; at about 3,200 - 3,400 RPM I couldn't even accelerate. But no big deal, this is expected. We didn't do any offloading or remote exploring, this was a survey and chill trip, we'll go back for more some day. The way back south was tough, we left Mammoth at 10:00 which put us in the Mojave in the early afternoon and LA at 4:00 and hit traffic without air conditioning. Really strong headwind all the way down the valley and high desert, we could manage only about 55-58 mph.

Our entertainment: the "count the Vanagons game", total of 16 for the 4 days north of Lone Pine. I won.

- Me: 7 (advantage: the driver, had to keep my eyes on the road) - Daughter: 6 (advantage: smart, keen eyes, and very competitive). - Son: 3 (disadvantage: in the back most of the time, watching our dog).

There were 2 Vanagons in our campground, and there were 2 in some storage yard just north of Bishop on the east side of 395. I thought we'd see more. We spotted one white Syncro camper, not a Westy, not an Adventure Wagon, but looked like some other type of fixed top, in Mammoth Springs right on Main street. I really thought we'd bump into more Vanagons. Apparently the "in" vehicle around those parts in campgrounds is a crew cab, long bed, diesel, auto trans, lifted, 4wd, 45 ft long, noisy, 2500 RAM F-350 or some such number, American giant pickup of some type with only one person inside - ugh. Perhaps that's why seeing another Vanagon was so nice, many more Vanagons than other buses, saw one Splittie, a couple of Bays.

And we came up with a new song, to the tune of Willie Nelson, On The Road Again:

- In the Van again ... - I just can't wait to get in the van again...

A few pics: <https://picasaweb.google.com/rmelzer/MammothLakes?authkey=Gv1sRgCMK4p9fC4sntfg> https://picasaweb.google.com/syncronicity1/MammothLakes?authkey=Gv1sRgCJe9irD0mom7sAE

Roland