Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2011, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 25 Jul 2011 07:47:16 -0400
From:         pat <psdooley@VERIZON.NET>
Subject:      Re: Strange Catastrophic Failure
Comments: To: Max Wellhouse <dimwittedmoose@CFU.NET>

Not really vanagon related, but does the haltech have data logging capability? If so, you can check your sensor input and outputs and look for viable data.

Drove my 90 GL w/248k on the ODO(Boston Bob rebuild at130k) to work last week with no problems. 1 hours later when I try to start it to go home, it did start sorta, but wouldn't build up RPMs and was running WAY rich. Checked compression and had the following 1-165 2- 135, 3 -95, and 4- 135. Don't think that's the major problem, though. Towed it home and still haven't figured out the problem. Since this engine has an old school Haltech engine management system on it instead of the Digifant, many of the usual Vanagon issues might not apply here. I unplugged the O-2 Sensor and there was no improvement.It acts like there's some sort of restriction in the exhaust system, but how could it run fine, get shut down, and then later in the day not hardly run at all? I was going to remove the Cat and see if it was clogged up, but thought I'd check the other stuff first. The Haltech System is like 10 years old, so maybe something like the Throttle Position Sensor might be bad?? It runs off of a 1 bar MAP sensor. I've checked for vacuum leaks, but something this bad you would think you'd be hearing the hissing if a hose were off or worn through somewhere. I should try and start it again and see what the vacuum gauge is reading.

Could it be something as simple as the fuel pump/filter? I pulled a fuel line off the other night and got spritzed with the pressure from the line, so I don't think it's a lack of fuel pressure. The fuel pressure gauge has been reading low for over a month now(like 15-20 PSI rather than the 29-36 range), but that hasn't stopped it from running. normally. FP Regulator toast???

Any suggestions would be welcome at this point!!!

TIA