Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2011, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 25 Jul 2011 15:40:17 -0600
From:         Tom Buese <tombuese@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Re: Clutch/Shifting issue?
Comments: To: ralph meyermann <ralphmeyermann@gmail.com>

On Jul 25, 2011, at 2:53 PM, ralph meyermann wrote:

> I've had mine just go out on a few pushes on the pedal then it was gone. Is it spongey feeling or little/ no resistance? >

Nope, everything feels stout.

> Check the lube level in the tranny? Maybe syncros going out? > > Tranny has Royal Purple Gear oil in it-but I'll double check although there are no signs of a tranny or anywhere else leak.

YMMV,

Mr. BZ-guns for oil or shift for brains > >> On Jul 25, 2011 3:41 PM, "Tom Buese" <tombuese@comcast.net> wrote: >> >> Hi Volks, >> >> 84 vanagon w/ 4 speed tranny-has always shifted well (144k) except when clutch cylinders leaked & got low on brake fluid- have replaced master brake & clutch slave cylinders in the last year/ 4+- years. No problems recently until the other day, couldn't downshift into 1st w/o turning off engine & starting w/ clutch fully depressed. Thot it was low brake fluid so fudged my way home & topped off resevoir which was only down 1/2" +-. Depressed clutch & brake several times & it seemed to work until today when I had to do the ole turn off/start engine again trick when ever I needed to get it in gear. Higher gears sometimes had same issue, but not always. WTF? >> >> It seems like a clutch issue? Could that happen suddenly? Or is it a shifting linkage issue? Hmmm, come to think of it, I believe that the clutch master cylinder has not ever been replaced. Can that puppy go w/o any signs of leaking, warning signs??? >> >> Your kokua(help) would be appreciated. >> >> Mr. BZ-5 miles to home before I sleep >