Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2011, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 25 Jul 2011 16:20:59 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Clutch/Shifting issue?
Comments: To: Tom Buese <tombuese@COMCAST.NET>

the hose that feeds the clutch MC is on the right side of the brake fluid reservoir .. about 3/4th of the way up.. so even if all clutch brake fluid leaks out ..say out of the slave.. the brakes still have plenty of fluid to work with. And ..the brakes being bad... can not affect the clutch ..unless the BF level in the res gets below the line to the clutch MC . .and even then .. the full hose full of BF going to the clutch MC acts as a res for the clutch MC anyway.

the clutch has not been looked at or worked on, or replaced in 105K miles. That's a fair amount all right.

how is the pedal effort ? the effort should be pretty linear through the full travel. if it's softer at the top ...then harder below .. that could mean something. an brand new clutch with properly working hydraulics feels smooth and light almost . and very even in effort through the whole stoke of the pedal.

deviations from that show up as parts where. Often ....very high pedal effort means tired clutch disc and pressure plate. but you have to be able to tell what part of the feel is from the clutch hydraulics and what part is from the clutch. see my previous post about a van that had both going on at once.. soft from the hydraulics, hard from the clutch itself.

of it was in my van ..or in my shop .. I'd rule out clutch hydraulics.. observe how well the slave piston and rod move downward ( watch for slave bracket flexing.. people leave off the front support bracket sometimes .....which can lead to bracket cracking even ) ..

so look for 'lost motion' or weakness everywhere from the clutch pedal, through the hydraulics, to the lever on the side of the trans and the slave bracket..

if it's not that .. pull the trans ( if 2WD ) and look at the clutch., I can just see tons of clutch material dust there right now.

sounds more like clutch itself to me .. though eliminate external causes first ...just watch how well the lever moves while someone pushes in the clutch pedal. it it's not external to the clutch bell housing .. then it's internal, remove trans.

that a dealer did the work is no assurance that it was done properly and thoroughly. Likely , more expensively, yes, but 'really right' ......they're just as sloppy sometimes as anyone else.

9 yrs/105K miles is a long time on a waterboxer clutch ( though they are very good clutches generally ) and some people , and some driving conditions, are rougher on clutches than others.

Scott www.turbovans.com Aloha

----- Original Message ----- From: "Tom Buese" <tombuese@COMCAST.NET> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Monday, July 25, 2011 3:15 PM Subject: Re: Clutch/Shifting issue?

Ok, just checked my records-had new clutch MC & Slave cylinder installed 9/2008. Had tranny gear oil & brake fluid replaced in 9/2010, (coolant flushed/changed at same time).

It was the leaking brake MC that I had changed 6-8 years ago.

I have not had the engine pulled in this vanagon in the 9 years/105k I have owned it. Runs like a sewing machine. So clutch might be going bad or poorly installed, but that would have been by the VW dealer, as no one else worked on it before I bought it.

Sooo, can a bad brake MC affect the fluid going thru the Clutch MC & make it not shift? Is the brake MC above the Clutch MC & directly below the resovoir?

YMMV,

Mr. BZ- have new FTE German Brake MC in my van stash.