Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2011, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 25 Jul 2011 21:16:57 -0500
From:         Max Wellhouse <dimwittedmoose@CFU.NET>
Subject:      Re: Strange Catastrophic Failure - Not
Comments: To: Rob <becida@COMCAST.NET>

It's catastrophic to me when it leaves me stranded somewhere; be it a burnt up ignition rotor or a hole in the block. Having said that, I sense a definition of the word coming shortly...... meanwhile, I'll put the cheapest fixes into place first. I have two spare FPR's and a wrench to R&R it

The van has run on the 10-20PSI fuel pressure for some months now(assuming the sending unit and wiring are still good(VDO gauge and sender) It started evenly before this hassle and the cylinder PSI differential was done more or less cold, so it may be a bit off, but that test was done strictly to see if I had one or more cylinders at zero. I have a hollow cat to swap out and see if that is the issue and new SS bolts to snug things up. I'll check the connections to the MAP sensor and the TPS, but the Haltech manual doesn't have a great deal of troubleshooting info If there's something wrong with the Haltech, I'll likely switch brands and get something ore modern that doesn't run off a DOS operating system. I'd have to research the Subie list and see what those folks like, since eventually there will be a Subie in the back anyway. If the Hall sensor was toast, it wouldn't even start, right?

MMMV

DM&FS

At 03:00 PM 7/25/2011, Rob wrote: >At 7/25/2011 11:59 AM, Scott Daniel - Turbovans wrote: >>'Catastrophic failure' means it blew itself to smithereens... >>or something of that order. > >I thought it was funny too, but this is the internet <g>. The last >catastrophic failure I had (a 2.1) left a large hole in the top of the case. > > > > >Rob >becida@comcast.net