Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2011, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 27 Jul 2011 06:48:11 -0700
From:         Rocket J Squirrel <camping.elliott@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Radio causes buzzer to go off
Comments: To: "Frederick M. Wasserstein" <wasserstei@WINDSTREAM.NET>

This is an interesting one. Without studying the wiring diagram (which means I'm just idly sitting by, making idle observations, keep moving folks, nothing to see here) I wonder whether the buzzer is going off due to loading on the battery, or due to RFI. Do you have a dummy antenna you can connect to the radio? If the buzzer doesn't buzz on tx then it's RFI. If it does then it's a battery loading issue. Neither seems very likely to me, so this is a mystery.

The battery loading could be mimicked w/o a dummy antenna by connecting a resistor in place of the transceiver to duplicate the 8A current draw -- a 1.5 ohm guy but it needs to be a pretty hefty resistor as 8 amps @ 12V = 96 watts. Or see if a 100 watt 12 volt light bulb can be used.

Now I'll shut up and let someone with a better working knowledge of how the door buzzer works chime in.