Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2011, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 27 Jul 2011 10:23:30 -0500
From:         Max Wellhouse <dimwittedmoose@CFU.NET>
Subject:      Re: Strange Catastrophic Failure
Comments: To: ralph meyermann <ralphmeyermann@GMAIL.COM>

Well, those of you guessing through cyberspace on the cause of the problem, if you guessed clogged cat, you were correct. My last clogged cat had milky gray liquid coming out of the tailpipe, so that's why I was checking other things first. I now remember my wife telling me she would hear a rattling sound as I drove away fr om the house, but that noise went away. The rattling must've been the mesh inside going in pieces and the eventual silence, the mesh getting into two balls that blocked the exit flange of the cat I took a couple photos if anyone is curious, but not worth putting on photobucket or whatever.

Started off checking fuel pump delivery and it was well over the Bentley Minimum. Doesn't explain the pressure gauge reading 10# low, but will likely replace the pump soon anyway. It sounds like it's laboring when the key is turned on. While back there, I replaced the motor mounts and the oil cooler seal, stuff that had needed to be done. Prolly wait on the water pump for another long day of Vanagon work. Coolant needs flushing too.

Thanks for all the advice

DM&FS

01:41 PM 7/25/2011, ralph meyermann wrote: >I think if they are within about 15% of eachother is acceptable have you >done a leakdown check? Or if you pressurize the cylinders one at a time and >listen to the intake and exhaust for hissing and check any crankcase vent >for escaping air as well to see if its valves or piston/rings > >On Jul 25, 2011 1:21 PM, "Rob" <becida@comcast.net> wrote: > >A 75 psi difference in compression pressures would bother me, bother me a >lot. > >Rob >becida@comcast.net > > > >At 7/25/2011 09:47 AM, Jake de Villiers wrote: > > > > Does it crank fairly evenly? That low cylinde...