Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2011, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 27 Jul 2011 14:49:40 -0500
From:         John Rodgers <inua@CHARTER.NET>
Subject:      Re: Jet Hot coating for exhaust, or the equivalent?
Comments: To: Stephen Grisanti <bike2vcu@YAHOO.COM>

Stephen,

Here is some commentary on another forum on the subject.

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=23202&start=15

For myself, I used to work in the aviation industry. On piston aircraft coatings didn't work well on exhaust systems, which were always stainless steel. The engines were just run until the exhaust burned them through and they were then discarded. There are some good applications for the ceramic coatings. The new window tint is one of them. But in my mind, ceramic coatings for exhaust systems is questionable at this time. Yes, the technology is improving all the time, but even as good as it has gotten, I'm not sure it's quite there yet for exhaust systems. But - being an old pilot and aircraft mechanic, I tend to lean to the conservative side. I found out a long time ago that unlike with a car, you can't pull the ol' puddle hopper over and park on a cloud somewhere when something goes wrong. Though I haven't used the service, I tend to agree with Ken Wilford as to what the expected outcome may be.

John

John Rodgers Clayartist and Moldmaker 88'GL VW Bus Driver Chelsea, AL Http://www.moldhaus.com

On 7/27/2011 10:14 AM, Stephen Grisanti wrote: > Looking ahead to this new exhaust I'm probably buying very soon, I'm wondering if it is worth the trouble and expense to have the new parts ceramic (or whatever) coated before installation. As much trouble and money as the replacement is likely to be, does this type coating actually extend the life of the system and is it worth it? If you have experience with this or specific recommendations on which product or vendor to use I'd appreciate it. > > I expect the process will include test-fitting the new system when it arrives before sending it off to be coated, to ensure that when it comes back there will be no surprises. > > Stephen > >