Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2011, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 28 Jul 2011 12:19:42 -0700
From:         BenT Syncro <syncro@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: How do you when your springs need to be replaced?
Comments: To: Robert Stewart <robertmstewart@MAC.COM>

Robert,

There's a lot more to ride than meets the springs. Tires, shocks, weight, sensitivity of your bottom, are some of the factors that come into play.

Forget comparing it to the heavier Westy. A heavier vehicle will relate to unsprung weight better than your lightweight van. Think about the bully in the playground. The bigger he/she is than you, will determine how harsh feeling his shove will be. An 85lb. bully can hardly move you if you were say 250lbs. You might not even notice. Heavy Westy, 50lb wheel and tire. Lighter Carat van, same 50lb wheel and tire. You will feel it more. Comparing the ride of your van to the Westy wouldn't be a good test.

As for taller springs, that will depend on their spring rate. Generally speaking, lowered springs are stiffer and compress less. Result is a bumpier ride. The manufacturer cam adjust spring rate so they can balance ride quality vs. lower ride. IMHO, the Carat springs provide a pretty close ride to the taller Vanagon springs.

Shocks an affect ride as you already know. Gas shocks add more so than oil filled shocks. Others will chime in who know more. I'm only touching the basics. Shocks damper the oscillation. That's the bobbing up an down action of the body as it rides on the springs. If you are feeling a slam as your suspension compresses, gas shocks can affect that. Oil shocks shouldn't affect it much. But as you discovered it does this at the sacrifice of handling. Less of a factor I ride comfort in your situation in my opinion.

One factor not commonly considered is wheels and tires. The taller the tire, the more it adds to the cushiness of the ride. Then there's sidewall strength. The heavier the load rating, the less flexing you will have. It's further complicated because taller tires have more rubber and contribute to unsprung weight. It's a bigger bully than the smaller tire. Another tire factor is wheel size. The Vanagons were designed originally to ride on 14" wheels and taller tires. If you switched to 15" or larger wheels and kept the original overall height, you had to move to a tire with shorter sidewalls. Guess what? Shorter sidewalls give a harsher ride.

Well, gotta run for now. Someone is staring me down over lunch.

BenT

sent from my electronic leash