Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2011, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 28 Jul 2011 15:48:47 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: How do you when your springs need to be replaced?
Comments: To: Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>

A wolfsburg/carat can ride and handle just fine, even with a light road. which tires and wheels .. and decent shocks of course, are about 75 % of it at least.

my personal 87 Wolfsburg.. drives like a perfectly nice riding and handling sport car.... very quiet inside too ...sweet van.

I wouldn't dream of putting on the taller GL springs.. come ride in mine .. it's sweet.

14 inch wheels and tires btw.. there's not a lot you can do with those .. One set up that works pretty darn well is 1895/75 R 14 LT's .. hard to find lately . the LT , C load range is PERFECT.. they're a bit narrow .. the common Cooper Discovery in that size .. is the best all around 14 inch vanagon tire I've ever found. quite, smooth, semi-agressive tread. Sometiems I run the 27 X 8.50 R14 LT in the rear.. those are a bit hard to find ..but those work real nicely for 14's .. either rear only, or all four corners.

you're common 185 R14 C ...in C load range.. nice .. in the D / 8PR commonly sold now .. as I've said.. they are not very good in front.. sure .....'weight wise' ...it's a truck tire practically and you're in fine shape there.. but for 'feel' and what I call 'nimble handling' .. and good smooth feel in the steering wheel, plus good 'turn-in' .the suck in the front.

and with 14's .. they are going to be either ....mushy feeling in turns.. or too harsh and stiff. more or less....vanagons do not have to drive like trucks that go in straight lines, and they do not have to be understeering pigs either.

but with 14's you can only get so far, and that's not very far .

scott ----- Original Message ----- From: "Don Hanson" <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Thursday, July 28, 2011 10:45 AM Subject: Re: How do you when your springs need to be replaced?