Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2011, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 22 Jul 2011 18:13:10 -0400
From:         Harry Hoffman <hhoffman@IP-SOLUTIONS.NET>
Subject:      Re: Oil light flickering at 1k or < rpms
Comments: To: Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@turbovans.com>

Hi Scott,

Thanks! I should've mentioned that the oil light goes off when driving only blinking when stopped.

But yeah, I think I need to figure out what the pressure is beforehand. I'll report back asap.

Cheers, Harry

On Fri, 22 Jul 2011 15:10:17 -0700, Scott Daniel - Turbovans wrote: > Hi Harry .. > classic high miles 2.1 engine behavior , sounds like to me. > > the right way is put an oil pressure gauge on it and see what you > really have. > ( the idea that it was a bad OP sensor ....I seldom see those not > working right ... > some may be more sensitive that others though ) .. > > in any case.. > put an oil pressure gauge on it ....see what the hot idle oil > pressure is, > and the going down the road at say 2,800 rpm ...like at 55 mph ... > > for the hot idle..you'd like to see close to 10psi minimum. > at cruise rpm hot .....at the very least 25 psi I'd say ...and 30 to > 35 is more like it. > > there is a discussion on thesamba about a guy driving his 2.1 until > it had something like 18psi at 60 mph, and 3 psi at idle.. > he kept driving it ...until it threw a rod right through the case. > > It's better to take the engine out of service before that happens.. > especially if miles are high, and oil pressure is low, particularly > on a 2.1 wbxr. > > Scott > www.turbovans.com > > > ----- Original Message ----- From: "Harry Hoffman" > <hhoffman@IP-SOLUTIONS.NET> > To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> > Sent: Friday, July 22, 2011 2:53 PM > Subject: Oil light flickering at 1k or < rpms > > >> Hi All, >> >> So, I consulted the list archives and google to determine what the >> problem might be with the oil light flickering when the engine is >> warm >> and the rpms are 1k or less. >> >> The collective knowledge of the Internet suggested the the .3 bar >> sensor on my 2.1L engine needs replacing. >> >> I did that but it hasn't fixed the problem. >> >> Any ideas for next steps? >> >> Cheers, >> Harry