Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2011, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 22 Jul 2011 14:26:15 -0700
From:         Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Harbor Freight 3/4" drive breaker bar?
Comments: To: Alistair Bell <albell@shaw.ca>

Actually, I plan on picking up that HF breaker bar, now that I hear other's have removed the axle nut using one, the next time I go into Portland, which is the nearest size able city to me and where I go about once per month to source other things that aren't available in my nearby town of (estimating) about 30k population..

They wanted $40 tor 1/2 day to rent an adequate impact wrench from the local rent center and $20 for a 3/4 breaker bar for the day.. I've always made a guide line about tools...If I have to borrow a tool more than once....I save up and buy it, because I obviously need it.

For my trade, I use the best available tools...Many of my hand tools are 35+yrs old and have withstood very hard usage. Many of my power tools were made in USA...but when a Makita drill is better, I buy that..if a Bosch saw is better, that is what I have...and in the past, I always put aside a portion of my weekly paycheck to purchase good tools, tools I have had to borrow from fellow workers, for my job..

Not so, nowadays....No job, no market for carpenters. Wages have dropped significantly on the building few jobs out there...Besides, the houses being sold today, for the most part, are 'assembled' not crafted...and much of the assembly is done using imported labor...The majority of potential new home buyers now are finding themselves in trailers, double wide mobiles and 'manufactured homes' that come on two trucks. these are about all they can afford...Or they'll 'scarf-up' some derelict McMansion that has been left to the bank due to an upside down mortgage balance...

Since it is Friday...

I'd guess American business ought to maybe wake up. When you've outsourced all the labor for what your company produces, the workers who used to buy that product...they have no jobs to earn money to buy that product...so where's the profit? I think the whole 'cut labor costs=make more profit' mentality is coming home now to haunt some of these businesses.....

Another of my pet peeves is "Extended Warranty plans" that they sell, extra, to get away with making shoddy goods....What a scam that is....yet we all 'buy into it'...

Don Hanson