Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2011, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 29 Jul 2011 05:30:01 -0400
From:         Frank Condelli <RAlanen@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: power steering rack core

Jim, thanks for that. Dead on observation ! Same story here ! Everytime I order a rack from my supplier it's a hit and miss situation, because he has no cores to refurbish so I have to wait while the one I took off has to go in for rebuilding ! Cores are important if we want to continue to have a supply of refurbished parts that are otherwise unavailable ! The power steering hose, pump to mainline, the one with the banjo fitting, that I have refurbished, 9 times out of ten the core never comes back, so I am out of cores and am now asking that the defective one be sent to be refurbished. I can no longer just send one out, the pile of cores I had rounded up to make this project go smoother for those in need fell apart because even with a $50 core charge the cores did not come home. I will boost the core charge to $100 if I can find more cores somewhere ? Good luck with that ! Everybody with a Vanagon is going to have to take some responsibility here if they want to keep on driving these vans.

On 2011-07-28, at 6:18 PM, Automatic digest processor wrote:

> That's the problem these days that many vendors (including my > employer) have very conservative core deposits, thus not giving much > incentive to return them to the vendor. After being this business for > 35 years this coming October, I learned some interesting things about > the core business. > > 1. Some Vendors have a conservative core charge so they can remain > price competitive to sell the item. > > 2. Some Vendors have a conservative core charge to reduce the chance > of a customer to return the core, thus the Vendor makes "free dollars" > over and above the selling price markup. This is a very common > strategy, especially for most (but not all) online/mail order outfits. > > In both cases above, this is usually because cores are plentiful, so > there's no critical need to get the core back. > > Critical Core items usually have a rather high core charge and for > good reason. Stuff like late Vanagon starters have a $45 to $75 core > charge and are worth returning unless you're outside North America and > have to buy one here for your ride laid up in South America or where > ever, then it's not cost effective to ship the core back. > > Some items have such a critical core situation that some places won't > sell you the item unless the core is received in advance to insure the > rebuilder (or Vendor) gets a core (some Porsche 911 Alternators are > that way these days)(In otherwords, item is sold on an exch > > A $100 or $125 core charge on a Vanagon Power Steering Rack is pretty > much the standard in the industry, but I know from experience that the > cores are not plentiful these days. Personally I think the core > charge should be around $200 to make it worthwhile for the customer to > return the rack core so that the Vendor can get it rebuilt and put > back on the shelf for the next customer that needs one. It can't cost > that much to ship a PS Rack Core from one coast to the other, USPS, > UPS, Fedex, can it? > > Recently Ron @ Bus Depot put out a call for good used/core Brake > Servos I guess because he's not getting the cores back from his sales. > I know these are highly critical core items, so stuff like this > shouldn't be tossed in the trash.

Cheers,

Frank Condelli Almonte, Ontario, Canada '87 Westy & Lionel Trains (Collection for sale) Frank Condelli & Associates - Vanagon/Vanagon Westfalia Service in the Ottawa Valley Vanagon Stainless Steel Exhaust Systems BusFusion a VW Camper camping event, Almonte, ON, June 09 ~ 12, 2011